Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High performance cooling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default High performance cooling

On my list of things that scares me about cars its overheating. My ride runs just fine as of current with a totally new cooling system (water p, aux p, theromostat and housing, fan blade). I want to further augment this by working to create a high performance cooling system for my car. Here what I have in mind. New High flow electric fans (considering replacing the mechanical one with electric) for the radiator and condensers, possibly seeing if I can get 2 mounted there up front since I will be installing a FMIC. I also want to shield my entire intake system with aluminum and insulation. Thoughts?

oh, also I plan to replace my coolant temp sensor with the green topper because I have the black one and also the thermo switch for the after run system, maybe I could wire the fans into that system as well.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

I just looked into this and wanted some thoughts on it. There were some guys on a benz board who are heat wrapping thier intakes and showing a definite temp decrease. What if I wrapped heat reflectors around the intake and other intake tubes. Thoughts?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear

I would think you could see a gain if you wrapped the intake from the intercoolers up to the intake manifold. It would be a very slight gain.

Bob

Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

I remember reading somewhere that for every 10 degrees celsius (maybe Fahrenheit???) you can drop the IAT, you will see approximately 1% increase is total horsepower. Anyone else heard this? I would think that a good reflector wrapping coupled with a FMIC would provide a great drop in temp, especially here in Denver at this crazy altitude.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

You might want to look into larger oil coolers, too. I have not, but my mechanic mentioned them as an option when we were discussing upgrading to K04s.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear

A better oil cooler is definitely included in this setup. I want the VAST upgrade, and a high capacity oil filter. I have also considered finding a way to run one oil cooler into another oil cooler since they are teeny tiny and I am totally paranoid about overheating issues lol. I feel stupid for asking this but I have heard of sandwiching oil coolers but I've never heard or seen a good direct description of what this is. Being enlightened would be much appriciated.