Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know it's been talked about, but condensation in the lens issues

Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Default I know it's been talked about, but condensation in the lens issues

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I have searched these forums and I've seen multiple different reasons, as well as answers to this issue. Which one is true!?!?!? I've had my 01A6 stored in my garage for about 8 months (the summers are brutal on cars out here in PHX) and just yesterday took it to the dealership for a new battery. They washed it, and now I have a TON of condensation in the passenger side head light. I called the dealer and they quoted me $969 for ONE new headlight assembly. With my discount it only came down to $562 for ONE!!! I'd love a quicker/easier/CHEAPER solution to this problem. I used to think that just the hazing on the outside would be the problem, but now I've obviously encountered a bigger one. Thanks for any and all your help in advance.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I know it's been talked about, but condensation in the lens issues

you can get a new unit in ebay. average price is $320.

or try junk yard. they even help you to install.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM

Do you mean new as in new to me, or new as in replacement part made in Maylasia somewhere? I've seen the lights on ebay, and from what I've read on these forums and prior experience I know to steer clear of these types. I really want these lights to look as good as possible (to me they add too much to the overall look) and junk yards in PHX probably have lower quality lenses than I already have. I really appreciate the information, and please keep the ideas coming! I really need help with this...

Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

I havent done this yet with my A6 (Im getting a bit of a haze in the passenger side headlight), but Ive done it with my buddies on their cars. You take of the whole headlight and inspect the the space between where the outer cover connects to the housing. Its usually glued together with some silicon over it to keep it air/water tight. What your looking for is any spaces where the silicon or gluemay have gapped or opened up and cut off any that is hanging or loose. What we get is a tube of clear glass silicon thats in the caulk tubes at home depot/lowes/menardsand throw it in the caulk gun. Run a nice layer over any openingsbut becareful not to get it everywhere since its really messy. Then let it set, preferably for around 24 hours so it can set into its true form. Then we usually run another layer around the whole seal just to be safe and let it sit for another 24 hours. I dunno if anyone has tried this in the past (or if its as effective for OUR headlights) but it seems to work 85% of the time. If anyone has done it or has another method, it'd be great to hear about it.

Hope this helps