Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indicator and brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM
1st Gear
Question Indicator and brake light problem

I am new to this forum. I would like to know if someone has some thoughts about the problem I am having with my A6 2008.

It is the driver side brake light and rear, driver side, indicator which goes off approximately 10minutes after starting the car. It works fine when car's engine is turned on after turning it off for sometime . But when the engine is started, the brake light and the indicator works fine initially, followed by a warning light blinking in the dash pointing that the rear brake light not working. And after about five minutes the indicator malfunction light startsflashing. At that time, the internal right indicator arrow flashes fast if I am turning right and the rear indictor bulb does not turn on.

I have looked at the rear brake light. It is the only middle bulb, out of three which does not turn on. The rest of the two works fine.

I have already changed the bulbs but the problem still persists. It also depends how long I had been driving the car for. If I had been driving it for an hour or two, the lights go off quickly after starting the engine. But if I start the car early morning, it takes longer for the bulbs to go off. This makes me to think something related with the warming up of engine or wiring.

I have shown it to Audi. They are not sure but think it might be a faulty headlight/ fog light switch (the rounds switch, on one side of dashboard for turning on the head lights and fog lights). They are charging hell of money for running diagnostics check as well as replacing the switch. They do not know if this will sort out the problem.

Please advise what can be the possible problem and what shall I do.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

Common problem on the C6. You need to replace the entire rear light assembly. Part is about $135. I experienced the same problem about a year ago.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

mail order online and search for DIY in forums...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much Kevin. Did you also notice the problem was coming on heating up the car? I was wondering if this is rear light assembly problem, the problem should be continous. What do you say?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 AM
2nd Gear

The problem was when the car got warmer. It started as an intermittent problem and then it became more frequent. If you search AW you will see that it is a very common problem. Several members have tried all sorts of fixes but they have eventually failed. The only known permanent fix is replacing the light assembly.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Kevin thank you very much for very useful advice. I have changed the bulb holder unit of rear light (£32) and it has been working fine since then. I noticed one of the contacts was burnt and turned black in the old plate. I am surprised the electrician in Audi changed the bulbs on the very first day when it happened, but overlooked this black contact and insisted on booking the car for full diagnostics run (@£100 per hour).

I appreciate your time & help.