Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a A6 2.8, new member have some questions:)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Default just got a A6 2.8, new member have some questions:)

hello all hope you are all doing fine, this is my first post here and wanted to introduce myself,i just purchased a 2001 a6 quattro with alot of extras silver in color for 9999, the body is in mint shape as well as the intierior and engine bay, this was before they detailed it, from the carfax report all seems good, what they did to the car as far as service was new brakes and new tires, replaced cv boots and replaced some seals, also replaced timing belt and water pump and the like, all together i saw their invoice and it had costed them about 2 grand in their own costs so if i was a customer paying that it prolly be more like 3500 to 4000 knowing dealers, only things they wont fix that still are not in working order is the driver side front speaker and the lcd screen display, so that id have to do on my own watch, it also will come with a 60 day warranty if any other things go arry within that time, the car has 104,000
miles on it but looks to be in perfect working order but i know these audis have a history of working one minute and not the next, I also have a 2002 mini cooper s that i love and bought new with 4 miles on it now it has 180,000 and still starts every time and has never been to the dealer and still on origanl clutch, i know i cant really expect that of the audi but what else do you guys think i should watch out for, i am just hoping for that anything majore that could have gone wrong with the car would have already with these miles on it- also im kinda mechanically inclined so its not a problem to do some work myself but if a torqe converter went than id be out of luck, do you guys think i paid to much or got a fair price with the work included

thanks and look forward to being a member on this forum !

Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: just got a A6 2.8, new member have some questions:)

First off, Welcome!!! I think you'll really enjoy the car, as long as you take care of it, you shouldnt have any major problems

The major stuff to watch out for is the stuff that they already fixed.. at 104,xxx miles timing belt would really be your biggest concern... so with that said, knowing that the timing belt would have cost you well over $1,000 I think you got a pretty good price

Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

congrats on the purchase!

I just bought a 2000 2.8 with 97k for $6.5k, but it did not have the work yours does. I spent another $1000 on front axles, some other front end parts, new valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires. I have not done the timing belt service which i figure will cost another $800.

As for long term reliability, I can't really say, I just got mine last month. But it does seem to be a great car so far.

And there is nothing reasonable you can do about the LCD, most people just live with it. The repair is expensive, and it will just go bad again.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the warm welcome ! i was curiouse i read that the head cover gasket seals leak alot on this motor if this occures what are the symptoms and how hard of a job is it to fix and how much possably!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

Welcome to Audi land. Your car had the major things already done, TB won't be needed for about another 75-80k miles.
Head cover gaskets ? not really an issue with Audi's, you may mean valve cover gaskets, which can leak if the correct sealer isn't used when putting them on. And of course the cam adjuster seals are known to leak. Audi's are "not" low-maintenance vehicles, you have to take care of them.
Enjoy the ride.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

hey guys just thought of something that scared me when the dealer changed the T belts what if they didnt change the tentioner or guide or something will i have to tear this down again if they just changed the Tbelt or when you buy aTbelt does audi sell a "kit" just want to make shure the dealer did the right thing i asked them but they didnt know and the shop was closed, all they knew is they changed the belt, just want to now if i can stop nibbling my fingers lol
"

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

When the dealer opens, ask for an exact list of items fixed/replaced/ inspected, this should all be itemized on your bill. If not, change dealers.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

As for your valve cover gasket, pull out all the spark plug wires and check for oil. When I got mine done, there were a few ounces of oil around the spark plugs on the left side, and a few drops on the right side.