Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and remote - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Key and remote - help!

I just bought a used 04 A6 3.0 quatro -- that only came with the valet key and emergency plastic key - and no remote!. If I buy a uncut FOB can I program it without having another remote? Does anyone know what the likely FCC ID and mhz is for this vehicle? I'd rather not have to go to the dealer.

Would these instructions work or do I need another remote to do it this way?

1. Take one key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and manually lock the car with the key you want reprogramed, ie put the key in the keyhole and turn to lock. Leave the key in the lock

3. Now press the unlock button on the key in the lock. The lights should flash.

4. Now press the lock button on key fob, and then unlock it again.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Man, I feel your pain. I just got an 01 A6. It came with a key that only unlocks the doors except the trunk and one remote key that starts the engine but wont unlock the doors. The remote doesnt work so I have to carry both keys around.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SoDoWarts
I just bought a used 04 A6 3.0 quatro -- that only came with the valet key and emergency plastic key - and no remote!. If I buy a uncut FOB can I program it without having another remote? Does anyone know what the likely FCC ID and mhz is for this vehicle? I'd rather not have to go to the dealer.

Would these instructions work or do I need another remote to do it this way?

1. Take one key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and manually lock the car with the key you want reprogramed, ie put the key in the keyhole and turn to lock. Leave the key in the lock

3. Now press the unlock button on the key in the lock. The lights should flash.

4. Now press the lock button on key fob, and then unlock it again.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function.
Your car has an immobilizer in it, which basically means, you need to take your key to the dealer to have it programmed. I think 02+ had the immobilizer, but it might be 01+