Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise replacing center console cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Need advise replacing center console cup holder

Greetings- I'm referring to the slim fold away cupholder that is located just rear of the rear view mirror adjustment **** in the center console. The original cupholder was broken when we bought the car,so I picked up a new one at the dealers yesterday , as I had to pickup a "flasher unit" for the blinkers anyway. Does this unit just snap into place or is there a hold down screw or clamp involved? Is it necessary to remove the entire center console to install the new cupholder? I looked through the Bentley but I didn't even see a single picture of the cupholder, maybe it was an option? In any case, thanks in advance for your help,regards, Paul

Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

As this cup holder is right behind this thing. Take this out first, use a flash light to see inside what way to take care of cup holder.

Edit :
AAA I just saw this from another Audi form posted by a Audi Tech ... to get the cup holder out there are two tabs that hold it in push on them and pull it out.

BBB click this and scroll down ... http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5...5_Interior.pdf

Last edited by bigdadi; 11-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

if you look down along the sides of the broken cupholder you should see two little black tabs, one on each side. Just push the tabs out and pull the broken cupholder straight up and out. mine took a pretty good deal of force but wth, its broke anyway. new cupholder just slides right in, push until the tabs click in place.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, you should see these tabs nicely from the new one and exact location.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

IMO, those console cupholders are excessively fragile and useless for anything larger than a can of soda. I replaced mine with the less expensive OE coin tray which came standard on later model C5s(...apparently Audi knew their cupholders were useless too).

Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks so much for the help!

Once I vacuumed out a bunch of debris that had collected due to the old holder being broken, I was able to see the two tabs. What I wasn't prepared for, was the "snap in" sleeve that the cupholder snaps into , was also flapping in the breeze. When I first inserted the new holder, it sat about a half an inch lower than it should, then I realized that something else was wrong. Had to wrestle the new holder back out, re-seat the inner sleeve, and then install the cupholder. I agree, this cupholder probably won't last more than a couple of months, think I'll go with the change holder next time. Now it's on to the ashtray, and then the little door that covers the "warning triangle" on the inside of the rear wagon door. Thanks, Paul

Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wpod
...and then the little door that covers the "warning triangle" on the inside of the rear wagon door.
Here's some inside info when it comes time to fixing that rear hazard triangle door...chances are, you just need the little, black plastic 'cam' that keeps the door closed. However, if the color-coded **** is also broken...do not buy it separately. Instead, order the entire hazard door assembly(comes w/the **** & cam). Believe it or not, buying the hazard door assembly is cheaper than buying the **** & cam individually.

UberTeile

Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear

My favorite cup holder.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Those cupholders must get broken quite frequently. When I was shopping for my Audi A6 wagon, both cars I looked at had broken cupholders. Mine is in the open position luckily so I use it to hold a room freshener tub.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Install Cup Holder to Coin Tray

Hi--I have a coin tray in my A6 and had one of these pop up cupholders in a past Audi, which I loved (amazingly it never broke, which it sounds like is common!). I found a cupholder pullout on ebay thinking that I could replace my coin tray with the holder since it's hard just having the one cupholder on the dash next to the four-way button, but after reading this series, I was wondering if switching from tray to cupholder requires more hardware than just this insert. I know some of you have mentioned the "snap in sleeve" the cupholder pops into. Can anyone who has maybe gone from cupholder to coin tray let me know if going the opposite direction is viable? I'm attaching the picture of the insert that I could purchase in case someone can recognize if there's an additional part needed. Thanks very much.

Attached Thumbnails Need advise replacing center console cup holder-cupholder.jpg