Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!! Timing belt horror! Engine needs to be replaced?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Help!!! Timing belt horror! Engine needs to be replaced?

hey guys. this story is fu**ED UP!
99 a6 2.8L quattro 87,561
I posted an earlier thread about saving money on my water pump repair about how it was too good to be true to save $800 bucks on the repair with the water pump. would have cost $1070 instead of $1800. well guess what. i would be happy as hell to pay $1800 now compared to what im facing. GET THIS. I went to go get the timing belt kit from my job and i was going to get the car repaired the next day. But as im driving home MY WATER PUMP FAILED IN THE MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC!. RIDICULOUS!!! one day before im going to get it changed. So i take it to the shop and after about 2 hours of tests, they come back and tell me that my timing belt jumped and it fucked up my pistons and basically my engine is trash! with alittle over 87,500 miles on the engine. heres the exact diagnosis from the tech guy: "diagnosed and found low compression pressures in all cylinders, water pump failed completley, causing engine timing belt to jump time (multiple teeth locations) all internal engine valves are bent severely, will need complete engine replacement to repair vehicle properly". Does this sound right to anyone. Can a complete engine failure come from a simple water pump failure??? Basically im screwed. i owe money on the car and a used engine is atleast $2500 before labor. I need help guys. Can this be fixed by fixing the timing belt and water pump? before this problem, the engine light never came on or any other lights for that matter. What should i do. Am i that perfect example of an audi owner who tried to change his timing belt too later rather that too early but safe?? Help guys!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need Help!!! Timing belt horror! Engine needs to be replaced?

I am sorry I don’t have an answer for you, I suspect with a timing belt the motor is toast and will need to be replaced (I will never leave it more than 70K-75K miles before changing the timing belt, I prefer Mercs that us chains for this reason). Wish I could be more help, if I were you I would look over some forums and see if you can find a user with a tech certified banner and PM them, people will help if it is a quick opinion. I feel your pain good luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

This is tragic!! im so sorry to hear this.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Man that is a real bummer. I hadnightmares about mine doing just that - It sounds like I got lucky.

As for repairing it or replacing the engine- you need to take a very close look at the dollars and cents. if you have to spend a quarter to half of the value of the car in repairs think that is very risky. There might be some better options out there. keep in mind that there are a bunch of things that can start going wrong around 85K. so far I have done the complete timing belt service including water pump and anything ells in there that can go bad. one outer CV boot,all upper front control arms ( I got the complete control arm kit to do them as I am sure the lowers will go sooner or later). all 4 brakes. and misc other things.

Good luck and don't make an emotional decision, take your time and think it through.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Call Chris Semple at Force Five in Concord NH 603-223-6700 and ask him about motor replacement. He deals in all kinds of Audi stuff including new and usedAudi parts and complete cars...

Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

If your pump failed and you jumped timming then there is no reason to doubt your tecks word on engine damage.
Which, I believe was your Question.
Beng

Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 AM

when the water pump locks it stripes the timing belt because that's what drives it, a cylinder head would be the best choice and I doubt the pistons have much problems so bottom end should be ok ( even it there are minor dings in them they can be smothed out ) I think you found a guy who want to replace rather than do it the simple way, any pictures of the block and cylinder head would help

Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

yea dave you know what, i got the same idea from the guy i went too. he was honest about the testing but i really think he just wanted me to buy an engine and not give me any other choices. your right also. after doing research, i heard that i might be able to get a rebuilt cylinder head with the valves and that might be pretty much all i need. with of course the timing belt and water pump replaced. im going tomorrow to get a second opinion and hopefully i just comes out to just needing a new cylinder head. Has anyone had this experience? will the car ever run the same with a rebuilt cylinder head if thats what i need?