Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Need your thoughts...

Within the next month or so I will be looking into buying a 2001-2004 A6 4.2 quattro. My question is which year do you suggest and why? I also wanted to know if you could shine some light on those particular body styles. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

I have had a 2002 A6 4.2 for a few months, there are many other members who have far more experience than I, but here is what I have learned to this point. I had replace the secondary air hose straight away as it was completely rotted at the back of the engine - from the dealer $130+ dollars. Here is the list of issues I have found so far. Self-leveling headlights don't work correctly on my car - still working on. Electric fan bearing was bad - easy removal - $85 replacement aftermarket - OEM $250+. The 4.2 is wider than the other models which has made finding some parts such as aftermarket headlights difficult. No radio reception - found many others with same issue - in process. Slight smoke on start up - possibly leaking valve stem seals -wait and see approach. Key fob blade worn - replacement and back up key made/programmed - $75.

We have replaces most lights with LEDs and painted the factory wheels black.

My wife loves the car - good luck hunting

Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

I also got the 2002 A6 4.2. Around 100k I also had to replace the secondary air hose due to it being rotten at the back of the engine. However I replaced it with a heater hose from Autozone for 10 bucks (no Audi rings on the hose costs like 100$ less).
If you like the self leveling feature, never replace the headlights with aftermarket or you have to disable the warning light.
A few problems/things that need to be addressed or should be considered after 80k:
-Timing belt
-Coil packs
-O2 sensors
-MAF
-Coolant reservoir
-Control arms
-Struts (by choice, I wanted something better then stock)
-Fuel door actuator
-Fluid flush (brake, steering, transmission, differential)
-Window clips and regulators
-Replacement Radio (old one just sucks: bass and sound quality loss, buttons and turning **** sticky/skipping, cassette failing, etc)
-Cup holder replacements
-Front Axles
-Oil Pan Gasket

I have also replaced all the interior lights with LED's but I also had to solder a resistor into the dome headlight due to it still drawing enough power when off to dim the LED's.

Most of the stuff listed is quiet common for this model/year but you could be lucky and have less issues or your future Girl could be a B*tch and rape your wallet

Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

Sheldon,

In hind sight I should had taken another option on the secondary air hose. I could have made up an Aeroquip line for less and would have looked better.

My interior dome/reading light LEDs work fine when doors are openned - bright -but when doors are closed and the reading light is selected by button they only "glow". Emil at Kraut Auto suggested either additional CANBUS bulbs or a resistor from Radio Shack. Sounds like you had a similar experience.

On the headlight subject, if I opt for the non-self leveling feature aftermarket headlight, the headlight warning display can be deleted with VAGCOM (which I don't have yet)?

Cheers

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CRF Rider 57
Sheldon,

On the headlight subject, if I opt for the non-self leveling feature aftermarket headlight, the headlight warning display can be deleted with VAGCOM (which I don't have yet)?

Cheers
Yes. There is a way to completely get rid of the headlight warning through VAGCOM or you could go the simple way and pull the fuse responsible for it, which will automatically disable the warning light. I think to remember it was Fuse 10 or 11 but if you search through this forum you will find it for sure.