Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audi thinking about buying a 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default New to Audi thinking about buying a 2.7T

I am thinking about getting a 2.7T A6. It seems like the majority are tiptronic cars. I rather have a manual but would take a tiptronic. My concerns are how does the auto trans handle modifications? How high can you bump the horsepower before it starts slipping? And overall how do you guys like the cars? Am I going to be repairing stuff all the time or is it pretty reliable once I takecare of some of typical problems?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Read the sticky at the top of the page that will give you a lot of info. are you mech. inclined, you will have some issues and mechanics are very expensive if you can do the work yourself you will save thousands. timing belt, valve cover gaskets, control arms,sensors,dash display The cars are awesome to drive but they are needy, most repairs you can do yourself with a few special tools,if you want to get your hands dirty, a service contract will run you around $ 3500.00 and they dont really last that long.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

I just spent the last two hours going through all the A6 posts and that sticky.

Yeah I'm a pretty good mechanic. I have rebuilt several engines and do all the work myself on several vehicles that I own. I have not and probably will not rebuild an automatic transmission and this is my main concern with the A6. I have no problem swappng in another transmission but I don't want to constantly do that either. I was wondering if these tiptronics last once the cars HP and torqu is increased from being chipped. I searched for a beefier replacement to the Tiptronic and came up with one company who rebuilds them claiming better than OEM but it was like a $4500 tranny. I'm starting to think I am better off finding a manual car but they are alot harder to find.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM

I'm like you - mechanically inclined and not afraid to get my hands dirty. I originally wanted a 2.7t, but was scared off by failing turbo stories. I loved my 1.8t powered GTI though and wouldn't hesitate to replace a turbo if needed, but unfortunately on the 2.7, you have to pull the motor to do so. OUCH. My wife and I are also expecting our first child in a few months, so I don't need $3000 turbo or tranny jobs (b/c I KNOW I would chip it). So, that brings me to the transmission. I hate VAG autos (DSG not included). Expensive and seem to have issues from the lowly 2.0 powered Jettas to 4.2 powered Audis. I personally bought a 3.0 quattro w/ tiptronic, but it was a great deal on a clean, low mileage car. Plus, I already have a toy in my Z28 convertible. Now, if I ever get around to selling that car, I will get a 2.7t, but trust me.....it will be mated to a manual!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear

To answer your question: yes, they do fail once you start pumping up the engine. Keep looking for a manual. Or, enjoy the Audi as-is.

Bob

Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear

Even the MT6 can fail, especially with a lot of miles and after being driven by a different "foot". I chipped mine at 74k and replaced the clutch/flywheel at 89k. Other than that it has been very reliable and currently has 143k. Recently took it on a 3500 mile vacation and all it needs is another set of tires, set #3. I plan on driving it over 200k.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I rather get an MT car but there are just none near me. I have seen atleast 20 tiptronic cars for every 1 MT car.
My next idea is if I just get a really nice Tiptronic car run it till the tranny goes and then do a manual transmission conversion. I mean IPS charges $4500 for a built tiptronic tranny I am sure for that price I can gather up used manual tranny parts or even buy a manual parts car and do the swap. What do you guys think? What all needs to be swapped to do the conversion?
I am thinking transmission, front rear diff, Transmission computer, pedals, clutch master, and interior pieces. Anything else?