Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCV system. Still losing oil...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Don't you just love that wagon? I should have kept mine. Oh well.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Don't you just love that wagon? I should have kept mine. Oh well.
hey Bob so with the cooling issue I kinda got sidetracked with this issue but here is an update. I went poking around for the oil leak and in my poking around I found out that its not engine oil at all. its turns out that its gear oil from the passenger side axle flange just what I needed to find out ugh...is that a hard fix?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SubaruHyundaiAudi
hey Bob so with the cooling issue I kinda got sidetracked with this issue but here is an update. I went poking around for the oil leak and in my poking around I found out that its not engine oil at all. its turns out that its gear oil from the passenger side axle flange just what I needed to find out ugh...is that a hard fix?
Not if it's just loose. You will need a triple square wrench to get the bolts out and back in. Not sure what size, I think it's a cr-v10, but they come in sets of 4. Get the long ones. Pull the wheel and reach in there and check for loose ones. Can't remember if there is a gasket or 'O' ring. Might just be black RTV.

The more I think about the more I'm not sure what's leaking gear oil. When you pull an axle no gear oil leaks so it must be a seal in past the axle that is bad. Still going to need the triple square to pull the axle. It's not too hard. Might have to drop the suspension from the pinch bolt to get it out. Search the forums for a pictoral procedure.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-27-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Not if it's just loose. You will need a triple square wrench to get the bolts out and back in. Not sure what size, I think it's a cr-v10, but they come in sets of 4. Get the long ones. Pull the wheel and reach in there and check for loose ones. Can't remember if there is a gasket or 'O' ring. Might just be black RTV.

The more I think about the more I'm not sure what's leaking gear oil. When you pull an axle no gear oil leaks so it must be a seal in past the axle that is bad. Still going to need the triple square to pull the axle. It's not too hard. Might have to drop the suspension from the pinch bolt to get it out. Search the forums for a pictoral procedure.
wait just loose? is that even possible to happen? I notice that it doesn't leak every single time I drive so I don't know. I do know that there is a gasket for sure where the axle meets the differential. the gear oil is in the front differential. I found a very nifty write up over at audizine that doesn't require dropping the suspension so that is a bit of good news on simplifying things....