Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with A6, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Newbie with A6, some questions.

I bought a new to me A6 2.7T Quattro today, and love it. Amazing car, and I love the 6 speed tranny.

As a newbie, I have to ask the age old question:

What do I need to do to it to make sure it runs great? It has 78k miles and 9 months left on the extended warranty. I filled it up with 93 octane, and plan to get the tires rotated and balanced, as well as an alignment, and a change of the oil and tranny oil. Anything else? The last owner had great service records...

Also, having HID's is amazing. I'd also like to replace my fog lights with a pair of bulbs from sylvania (the silver star) and get a whiter light out of them...anyone else do this?

Speaking of HIDs, my driver's side HID and high beam is way pointed down...while the passenger side looks right. How do I re-aim it?

As far as mods, I'm very happy with the speed right now, but having owned a turbo before I know the engine breathing is very important. So, what air filter / open element air filter should I look at?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2006, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Newbie with A6, some questions.

A drop in air intake system will trip your mass airflow sensor (MAF). My driver side light does the same, but mine may be a different problem because I hit a bad bump and the light fell in a bit, real bummer, but the road crew insurance is paying for it. but check to make sure the light harness isent broken. As for engine breathing, I am sure it is fine. It was designed to handle a twin turbo, I wouldent worry about it.
-congrats on your new Audi. welcome

Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Just pick up a K&N flat panel filter and it will be fine. The audi air box has a good design it just takes up space.

Mac

Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look for the K&N drop in filter...

Any other minor / small things to look for?

Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Optical Serenity

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look for the K&N drop in filter...

Any other minor / small things to look for?

As far as maintenance, if the previous owner had good records, check and make sure the timing belt has been changed. If it has not been changed, get it done, you do not want it to break on you!

I agree with the other guys with the K&N. The so called air intakes do not work well because they will take in the heat from the engine, result is lagging performance! Also, PIAA makes a great Plasma foglight that will give you the same glow as your Xenon headlights!

Good Luck and enjoy your car!

OOOO

Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Joeski

what is the model/part number of those fog lights from PIAA you refrenced above.
I just did the mod where you can run your fog lights stand alone and wanted to get new lights.
thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 PM

If you want a quick upgrade in power Check out APR the do tuning for Audi's. I got mine done and its a beast. I heard Giac has a chip as weel I don't know how the compare but its about $600 for 80hp and 100lbs of torque.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

I replaced my H3 foglights with the PIAA GTX Super Plasma.. I have used PIAA for over 10 years (in several differnet cars) and never had a bulb burn out. The silverstars burn out every other week..I tried them once--STAY AWAY.. If you want quality you have to pay for it. Those bulbs ran me $100 at a retail store and have seen them on EBAY (after the purchase) for $45-70 bucks. These bulbs match your stock HID (which is 4300K) almost to the tee. They are way way better than the stock and when you do the fog light mod, they really stand out and are bright!! Go with PIAA. The only other option I was looking at which would give you more light/visibilty would be to put an HID kit in...Open your wallet...the MOD is like $600 installed.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

I ran Silverstar bulbs in my last car without any problems...in fact, I know many who do, and the shortest amount of time I've heard they last is 6 months...which really isn't that bad for how nice they are.