Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help Please--misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Post Newbie needs help Please--misfires

Hello,
I am a newbie to Audi and I need some advice as to my issue.
Here's the details:
2000 A6 Quattro, 2.7t, 6spd manual, (just replaced last week),112k miles recently running strong! I just had the trans replaced by which turned out to be the 1st Audi they had done. Before the trans problem came up, the car ran perfect. When I picked up the car, I noticed a CEL on and during driving, no power shuttering and just altogether ran like crap. When they pulled the code it was specific p306. I left it with them for about an hour and when i came back they had no answers to why there was cyl 6 misfire code. I started it after they cleared the code and it seemed to be no further issue.

For the last few days, when I start it up in the morning, same issues as to running like crap but now it shows p300. After I shut it down for a while (approx 1hr), it seems to run fine again. This just seems too ironic to come up directly after the trans replace.

I know this is a very general question, but could there have been a connection that could have been missed?

I am also new to the forum community, so feel free to correct me as to how and where to get the best answers and advice.

Thank you for your input

Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audiscott
Hello,
I am a newbie to Audi and I need some advice as to my issue.
Here's the details:
2000 A6 Quattro, 2.7t, 6spd manual, (just replaced last week),112k miles recently running strong! I just had the trans replaced by which turned out to be the 1st Audi they had done. Before the trans problem came up, the car ran perfect. When I picked up the car, I noticed a CEL on and during driving, no power shuttering and just altogether ran like crap. When they pulled the code it was specific p306. I left it with them for about an hour and when i came back they had no answers to why there was cyl 6 misfire code. I started it after they cleared the code and it seemed to be no further issue.

For the last few days, when I start it up in the morning, same issues as to running like crap but now it shows p300. After I shut it down for a while (approx 1hr), it seems to run fine again. This just seems too ironic to come up directly after the trans replace.

I know this is a very general question, but could there have been a connection that could have been missed?

I am also new to the forum community, so feel free to correct me as to how and where to get the best answers and advice.

Thank you for your input
is your check engine flashing?

most probably its going to the coilpack. since its only one cylinder i would say either coilpack sparkplug or a clogged fuel injector.

what happened to your tranny?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

the CEL does not flash. it comes on and stays on until cleared. I have had the car for a short time now as to the plugs life, ?.

the only time it showed p306 was at 1st discovery. now it just shows p300

Lost 2nd gear with subsequent hole in the case. replaced with used unit w/less miles.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audiscott
the CEL does not flash. it comes on and stays on until cleared. I have had the car for a short time now as to the plugs life, ?.

the only time it showed p306 was at 1st discovery. now it just shows p300

Lost 2nd gear with subsequent hole in the case. replaced with used unit w/less miles.
usually the P0300 is accompanied with another misfire code specifying the cylinder. like 3001 would be cyl 1.

do you have a vag-com?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

try swapping the coil pack 6 to a different one, lets say with coil pack 1
if you get a P0301 the its the coil pack
ecstuning.com is a great site to get oem pars for decent prices

just got out of a similar situation and it turned out to be a bad coil pack
and if not that it may be your IMC ignition controll module which gets a signal from the ecu and then sends the signal to the coil pack then to the spark plug to make the required amount of spark to run you engine smoothly
if you cell starts blinking i'd pull over and turn the car off shortly after you've given the turbo to cool down a bit

Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Certified

Would agree , swap the coil from 6 with different cylinder , reset faults & see if the misfire follows the coil. If not try the spark plug.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Ok. Did all of the above advice and still a 306. So started to trace wires and ground etc. It was a loose power source connector. Hence the intermittent good/bad running.

Problem solved!!

Thank you for all of the advice! I'm sure I will be needing help in the future. :-)

Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Certified

Glad you found the problem.