Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs some a6 elec. help, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Default Newbie needs some a6 elec. help, etc...

I have a 02 2.7T that is blowing the 10A fuse that controls all 4 windows, the sunroof, and the cabin lights. It also displays 3 of the 4 doors as open on the car diagram in the driver information system screen even whenall doorsare closed. (The two rear and front passenger.) The door locks and other internals work fine. Any ideas on what might be popping that fuse? How can I narrow it down? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Newbie needs some a6 elec. help, etc...

If the fuse keeps blowing, it's a short circuit, check the wiring inside the doors going to the elec. window switch for bare wires.
Each door has a switch that tells the computer/display if it's open, these switches are easy to replace.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM

That would make sense,except the door indicator lights go off and the windows/moonroof/cabin lights work for a few minutes before the fuse blows again. Its got to be some type of relay that feeds power to the windows/roof/cabin lights and the door sensors...(or at least 3 of them since the drivers door sensor still works perfectly...) Is this what I have heard called Audi electrical gremlins? Thanks for the reply...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

i had this exact same thing happen to me about a month or two ago. it wasn't any of my door latches. it's fuse #14, right? there's a TSB out on this, but anyways, the cause of it is the rear driver's side floor light shorting out, which causes the fuse to blow. if you look up under the very front the underside of the driver seat, you'll see a bunch of colorful connectors, with a smaller black one that is closest to the front of the car. it's pretty small, only 2 wires run to it if i remember right, but anyways, pull that connector, put another 10A fuse in, and see if it blows again. if not, then there's your problem. i just left mine unplugged because all it does is turn the floor light on when a person opens the rear driver's side door, so it's not worth it to me to fix it since i usually drive alone anyways. with any luck at all, you should have this fixed in a matter of minutes.
-mike

Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear

had this exact same thing happen to me about a month or two ago. it wasn't any of my door latches. it's fuse #14, right? there's a TSB out on this, but anyways, the cause of it is the rear driver's side floor light shorting out, which causes the fuse to blow. if you look up under the very front the underside of the driver seat, you'll see a bunch of colorful connectors, with a smaller black one that is closest to the front of the car. it's pretty small, only 2 wires run to it if i remember right, but anyways, pull that connector, put another 10A fuse in, and see if it blows again. if not, then there's your problem. i just left mine unplugged because all it does is turn the floor light on when a person opens the rear driver's side door, so it's not worth it to me to fix it since i usually drive alone anyways. with any luck at all, you should have this fixed in a matter of minutes.
-mike
Definatly try that. theres one on the passenger side too. Could be either or.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Wow Mike!
Spot on call!!! Went out this morning, looked under the driver's seat...your desciption of the wiring position was EXACT. I pulled that first two wire black connector, popped a new fuse in the #14 spot, fired it up and the issue was resolved! 90 seconds ofwork.

THANK YOU! (Thanks also to dank for the confirmation). You saved me some serious $$$, as it was about to go to the dealership!

Now...How do I get the TSBs on the A6? I just ordered a DVD service manual that I think is supposed to provide those. If it doesn't, is there another way?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Scratch the part of the last post asking about TSB's. As I hit the button to post I looked up at the top of the page and seethe catagory for TSB's. I had hoped I would go longer than that on the forum before I asked something really stupid. On the other hand, I'm glad to getthe first stupidquestionout of the way sooner rather than later. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 PM

wait till you give a stupid answer then watch the talons come out hehe and welcome