B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Elec Fan Owners !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Default Elec Fan Owners !!!

WHo has an elec fan in place of the poopy mechanical fan clutch? If so where di you tap? I was just gonna run a constant to a relay and just put it in a 12v switched ignition or put it on a switch. Other ideas?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

Most people trigger it from the existing electric fan I think. Im not sure if you would want it always running at high vehicle speeds..

Last edited by Dallas09; 01-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM

I bought a Hayden thermostatic relay controller to go with my e-fan. This has an input for switched ignition (ran this wire into the cabin through the ECU box), a full-time +12V, a ground, and a wire that I tapped into the AC compressor clutch (so the E-fan will turn on whenever the AC is on). This unit also has a temperature probe which is meant to go between fins on the radiator, so that whenever the radiator hits a certain temperature, the fan will turn on. And that temperature setting is adjustable

The fan comes on after maybe 20sec. of idling at stoplights (depending on ambient temperature) and turns off shortly after pulling away from the stoplight. It works rather well!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I bought a Hayden thermostatic relay controller to go with my e-fan. This has an input for switched ignition (ran this wire into the cabin through the ECU box), a full-time +12V, a ground, and a wire that I tapped into the AC compressor clutch (so the E-fan will turn on whenever the AC is on). This unit also has a temperature probe which is meant to go between fins on the radiator, so that whenever the radiator hits a certain temperature, the fan will turn on. And that temperature setting is adjustable

The fan comes on after maybe 20sec. of idling at stoplights (depending on ambient temperature) and turns off shortly after pulling away from the stoplight. It works rather well!
I did exactly that but ran a relay from the switched 12v post under the dash. With a v6 you'll need either a really thin fan or a plate to block off the fan clutch pulley bracket. I bought an ebay fan and it hit the bracket, but I've read some slim fans will fit. I ended up making my own from a piece of sheet steel but it was far from ideal because it left a big gap underneath it.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM

link to said control ?

If you have it linked to turn on when the ac fan does, it is just the same to wire it in series/ parallel with the a/c fan already in the bay? just to bypass all the extra wiring of another relay and a temp control for it.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
link to said control ?

If you have it linked to turn on when the ac fan does, it is just the same to wire it in series/ parallel with the a/c fan already in the bay? just to bypass all the extra wiring of another relay and a temp control for it.
You're right, if you trigger it off the AC fan wires then it'll only come on when the AC is on or as a failsafe when the motor gets past a certain temperature. Problem is if you run it without a controller then it'll be running constantly when the AC is on. You'll still need a relay though, and the wiring for the controller is really basic. I got mine from Summit, its this one: Flex-a-lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers 31147 - SummitRacing.com

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Makes sense. Thanks for the info, I knew the wiring wouldn't be too complicated, relays are pretty simple. I got a BMW fan I think will work...prototyping