Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cats?

Old 01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default No cats?

I was wondering since I live in a state that doesn't have smog laws ,and my exhaust is beginning to rust, what would happen if I put straight pipe in the place of the catalytic converters I see that I have O2 sensors before and after the cats.,Do I just leave them open /disconnect or short them or just leave them be?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: No cats?

You have kids? Care about the air they'll be breathing? If so, please don't delete the cats. They're there for a reason.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

What is it with people and VW/Audi's removing their cats. Never once on the Volvo forums did people ask about bypassing their cats. I wish MN had emissions testing, I'm sick and tired of people with modified cars poluting the enviroment. If you cant afford to fix them, then you need to look at buying a different car. Audis are not for people that can't work on their own cars or have the money to pay someone else to.

Jeff

Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

First off this is a free country and if I want to work on my car I can,second where did you get the assumption that I cant work on my car or afford to pay to have it fixed?I drive it verry little ,and here in WV the many trees will consume the co. its when you live in a valley or city that you getthe pollution problems.Go complain to China they are destroying the earth faster than anyone with there flagrant disregard for the environment and 1billion + poeple[/align]

Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear

vellomike,

If you've deluded yourself into thinking anything other than that America pollutes more per capita than any other country in the world, you are indeed part of the problem. America is a free country, but unfortunately it is also a country where we have let personal freedoms win over accountability to your fellow man. Don't fool yourself into thinking some trees are going to help offset the additional polution you will put into the atmosphere. If you want to let your sense of personal freedom empower you to do the wrong thing, that is your right. It does not, however, make your decision moral, ethical, or kind to those around you. In fact, it makes you an inconsiderate, selfish slob.

There's a reason they put those cats on there. Your smog does not get eaten by the trees. It drifts up here to New England and falls as acid rain. Thanks in advance for peeing in my yard.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

Alright....Alright...Everybody calm the F*** down. This has been a sensitive subject in the past. The CATS are there for a reason. The reason is a good one, unless we all want our children/grandchildren breathing from oxygen tanks. Anybody seen Al Gore's movie yet..."An Incovenient Truth"...That will make ya think twice about your CATS. Leave them on the car. As for Vellomike...We all appreciate your enthusiasm to MOD your car. That is what this forum is about to some extent. We just don't like to see irresponsible behavior from anybody..not to say you are irresponsible..just saying . So, I have a suggestion for you...Check out Magnaflow's site and procure some high flow/low restricting CATS. They make them for the A6's and have direct plug-ins for your O2 Sensors. You can also buy 2 Magnaflow resonators and get rid of the big heavy POS now under there. Run some 2.5" piping all the way back and throw on some Magnaflow Muff's with some nice tips. Voila..you have a nice sounding, performance exhaust, that isn't hurting Mother Nature. BTW- If you don't use your O2 sensors as intended you will be throwing CEL lights and VAG Codes all day long. Ya don't want that. In closing...Everybody should keep there CATS on their cars and penny up for an exhaust system if you want performance. The small amount of HP gains isn't worth the cost of our planet we all live on and are responsible for taking care of.....Peace Out!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Hey thanks for the info, and not a lecture[/align]By the way ice core samples don't lie or have a political agenda[/align]