Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power on reverse and noise on turns - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 AM
1st Gear
Default No power on reverse and noise on turns - HELP!!!

I have an Audi A6 3.0, 2003 model, 112k KM. Bought it a couple of weeks back. Noticed a few things and want to check it they are legitimate problems that need attention or can be ignored:

1. This morning, when I put it on reverse, the car was not accelerating. It was moving slowly but was not accepting any power. On pressing the accelerator, only the engine was roaring. This happened 4 times. On my fifth try, it picked power. I don't know why this happened. Any ideas?

2. Whenever my steering wheel is turned fully right or left, it makes a weird noise. Like a humming sound. And quite loud. Well audible even in traffic and with the radio on.

Need some help here. Its my first Audi.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 AM

Just guessing here.. It may be possible for a sensor to be off such that the transmission did not engage reverse because it did not sense the shift? Total guess.

For the noise, that would be the power steering system. Air or contamination in the lines causes vibration in the pump as the fluid moves. When you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right that is when the most pressure is in the system. This noise will probably get louder during colder weather. I have a similar issue, but I think I have a small leak somewhere. I had to add a little fluid over the past year, which I shouldn't have to since it is an oil and should not evaporate. There is a tech briefing that mentions the noise and colder weather that causes air to be sucked in when the fluid level is not at max. If your fluid is full and stays that way and the noise is persistent, you may have a pump that is on its way out. Good luck, welcome to the Audi club!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
4th Gear

1: Tranny oil...

2: Steering Pump oil...

Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Thanks s31523. Everytime reverse gear is engaged, there is a beep sound which i know is normal. Those 4 times that I tried reversing, there was no beep. So it is possible that some sensors malfunctioned. It is working fine now.

Something new showed up on my dashboard on my way back home. The gears indicator (P N R D) on the screen was flashing. It stopped when I restarted the car.

How am I to guess why that was happening!!!! Any ideas?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM

I have had the same issue this winter.
My car somehow leaked power steering fluid, and there was a very loud sound while steering.
I didn't realize it was important and thought it is just cold.
Don't leave the car with low power steering fluid, I think it caused some loosenes in my steering in the future.
I added power steering hydroluic fluid which i bought from VW and it fixed the problem for me,
and never leaked again.
You probably don't need to flush the old same fluid. it is about $30 in the usa, never use other type of fluid with these cars.
I don't know anything about the other issues you are having.
Good luck.

Oh by the way, when you completely lock your steering wheel, you are also forcing the fluid back to its container, as I know, so with low fluid on the steering, it sounds normal to me, and i have the same issue, our old passat had similiar issue, I don't think it is a big problem.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

When PRND flash it means the tranny is in limp mode you will need to scan it and get the codes to see whats going on.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Midniteoil is right check your fluids. Only use the correct fluid. You need to check that stuff anyway the last owner may have never done it.

Have Audi check your trany fluid. It's a PITA. But don't put it off a hear it's 5K for a rebuild.

You should look for leaks and check the clamps on your power steering. The one on the pump itself doesn't leak if its loose it just sucks air in. If that's the issue your fluid will be foamy.