Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from front driveshafts on cold reverses

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Default Noise from front driveshafts on cold reverses

I noticed this the other day when leaving work. When I was backing out of the parking spot and had the wheels cut hard, it made an odd noise - I guess you could say an extremely faint "bad cv joint" noise - like that clicking/grinding. I think only a "car guy" would even notice it though. I even did the "that noise" to my wife when she was in the car and she gave me a crazy look as if I were hearing voices or something!! I've only noticed it when I first start the car, w/ the wheels cut all the way and in reverse, but not even every time I'm in that situation. I've never heard it once the car has been driven a few miles, etc though. It's an '02 3.0 quattro. Signs of things to come? Last time I was under the car (sadly only 2 months ago w/ a trans sensor), boots looked good. (Although I often hear of people replacing control arms on these cars and not exactly sure why or what to look for - I guess bushings on them go bad?)

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Does the noise sound like someone is twisting dry rubber?
or is it the click?

When I replaced my control arms the rubber was shot and the bushings cracked. It caused the steering wheel to wobble a little as I drove. My A8 makes a twisting dry rubber sound when I first start out and turn the wheel but those effer's will have to keep for now.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:27 PM
4th Gear

Hmm.. On first start up and first reverse of they day, I get a short 'grind' noise after about 3 feet of backing up... then never again till next day.

I hate these weird little sounds...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Well, I don't really think it's a "click" - nothing like a set of shot CVs that you'll hear on some ragged out Skylark in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I consider more of a binding noise - kinda popping. Dunno - maybe it is the CVs? Never heard a set in the early days of failure. Maybe I'll crawl under the car Thurs since I'm off

Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

Allwheel drives get in a slight bind at times when turning hard. The wheels seem to fight a bit and there can be a rumble soud. It is a bit worse when cold.

Maybe your problem!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear

Drop the belly pan and check to see if you have any tear in the boots. If the boots are damaged, your CV(s) are probably going bad. If they are okay, then I doubt that it is related to the CV joints.

FYI, I had these weird clunking noise coming from the engine/tranny area about a few months after I got the car. Like you said, it was the type of noise only a car person would hear. Took it to an indy, then to the dealer, but they were not able to find anything. Then one day, the noise disappeared suddenly. It has been a few years and I haven't heard it.

So I say if the boots look okay then leave it alone until it gets worse.