Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old A6 with New Sound System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Old A6 with New Sound System?

First post, how exciting!

I am a senior in high school with a 1995 Audi A6 Quattro Station Wagon as my first car, although I had to travel for two hours to find it. However, it was well worth it because the previous owner had kept such good care of it and still couldn't charge much, it being 10 years old and all. About a year ago, he had taken out the stock speakers and put in an Alpine head unit and aftermarket speakers. The problem is the speakers are starting to die on me, and for me to put a new aftermarket sound system in would cost over a thousand dollars due to the custom work they would need to do.

So, long story short, my mom just had an Alpine unit (very similar to mine) put in her 2003 Audi A4, and with that new head unit, the speakers seemed to become at least 10-20 times better, making them really seem like the BOSE speakers they were. My question is:

Is is possible for me to put new Audi BOSE speakers in my old A6, and how would i do that? It seems to me that this would be possible, since the space in the doors for the speakers is relatively the same for both my and my mom's Audi's. Please, i would really like some assistance on this! I would rather not have to pay over $1,000 for an aftermarket sound system that wouldnt even be as good as the audi BOSE ones.

Either respond to this post or, preferably, e-mail me at triguntz@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time, and I appologize for the length of the message.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Old A6 with New Sound System?

i have a 96 wag and am going from aftr mkt back to stock.

cant use the stock sub with a aftr mkt head unit unless sep power to sub.

audi unit wired for the oem sub&chgr.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Ok, cool.

Where could i do that? at the dealership? or should i simply look to buy BOSE speakers?

Old 09-14-2005, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Hi Tryguntz(?),

I own a 97 with Bose sound system on it. You should look into the price of new Bose speakers from the dealer! They may be more expensive than you think! I live in Canada and I know that the head unit costs as much as $500 CDN. Also if the previous owner changed the amplifier (which is Bose branded in the original), then facroty speakers may not work. From what I know, the speakers for the Bose are 2 ohm (or some odd impedance value) speakers, where as if new Alpine speakers and (possibly) an amplifier would require perhaps a 4 or 8 ohm impedance speakers. I think you should look into more details about what you have installed in your A6 and then try to figure what you can do about it. That is to figure out the amplifier system's brand, spec, speakers' full spec (impedance, size, model number), CD changer and head unit's specs. Then you can perhaps post them here and see what everyone knows about them.

Since your car's system is changed, I'm gussing someone must have used a wiring kit already to make the facrot wiring compatibale with aftermarket systems. You should find this out too.

If you look at my older posts, one of my recent ones has a link to find out about Audi's original sound systems. That may also help.

Overall if the sound system in there is fully after market, you should be able to just replace them with any brand or types you like and not just Alpine or stock Bose.

Hope this helps,

Kianoosh