Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating? or normal temp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Default Overheating? or normal temp?

2000 Audi A6 4.2l ART engine code.

Live in Tampa Bay area and noticed my needle passed the middle and touched the first lineto thr right. Never did that before. I was idling with the AC on and it's Hot out here today. 90 degrees. No lights came on, but looks scary to see needle go higher than the center line. I opened hood and temp slowly went back down. The only thing I did diffrent was add a transmission oil cooler in front of all the radiators and to the right of the font electric auxilary fan. The transmission oils does not run into the water heat radiator anymore. Just goes straight through to the flat 16 inch cooler and back to tranny. In my opinion the hot radiator water heats the transmission fluid. Some have told me I should let the oils run trough the radiator and then to cooler, but I dont want to complicate my life with hose configurations. There isn't much space to get my hands in these cars without removing front bumber.

Is my car over heating or is this normal? any one here live in Death Valley with an Audi?

I noticed there is an extra 11 inch diameter opening in the radiator shroud next to the stock mechanical radiator fan. Do these cars come like that? or is there suppose to be a fan there also? I feel like adding a ten inch electric fan for extra cooling. What is this empty 11 inch circle for?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 AM

oh, and is it a good idea to remove the stock fan from pulley and install electric fan in that hole? Will there be problems with electric stressing the charge system, alternator or battery?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

I can't say the 4.2 is the same as the 2.8, but I would imagine this following statement applies to all cars.

I feel you are missing your electric fan. The electric fan turns on for use with the A/C. There should be two fans up front, the mechanical and the electrical. Of course not all cars use a mechanical fan, actually other than out bmws this is the first car I have owned that uses a mechanical fan. The rest just had two electric fans.

I don't think you are even close to overheating, but you should definitely look into where that other fan ran off to.

Last edited by Jeffla; 05-16-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
3rd Gear

Could be just old coolant. flush it and replace it with new and see what happens.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Does a 2000 Audi A6 4.2L have three total fans?, or two( one mechanical and one electric in the front for AC condensor)? I see an extra circle/hole measuring about 11 inches in diameter inside engine compartment next to the big mechanical fan. I currently have two fans one inside engine compartment(mechanical) and a 12 inch or so electric in front of radiators.Everything looks stock. But I'm thinking about getting a 10 inch and splicing it to the front fan. I will be mounting this 10 inch next to main fan and was curious to know if there is even suppose to be a fan there by default. This hole also has like a vent or two flaps over the top opens up if I push on it, sort of like the exhaust vents for a clothes dryer outside your home, but on the radiator housing. This makes no sense whatsoever and I don't have access to exploded view of audi cooling components. I do not feel comfortable traveling this summer with the needle a quarter past the half line. gives me diarreah.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Site_Administrator
...and I don't have access to exploded view of audi cooling components.
air guide / 4.2ltr. / 8 cylinder:
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A6Q...62/49/3365927/

you'll probably have to register in order to access the page.

Edit:
Just came across this: some models (1.8; 2.5) are listed with
[B]radiator blind / for vehicles without electric fan / F 4B-W-115 001>>* / also use:
N 907 178 01 / AEB,AJL,APU, ARK,ANB
In the diagram the link takes you to, those two flaps are listed as part(s) 10/11 - "radiator blind" - 8D0121223

Last edited by chefro; 05-17-2009 at 02:17 AM.