Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help

Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Site Moderator

It won't roll at all? Yeah keep us posted. The only thing i know of that won't allow the car to move at least a little bit is a snapped CV axle.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Diagnostics....

Just to keep evryone up to date as to what happened since I had the Tranny fluid changed. I rechecked using the procedure from ZF using the Vag and the proper temp. nothing changed. So i decide to take it to the local Audi dealer. They scanned the vehicle and they found two code "P0730 Gear incorrect ratio " and "P1624 MIL request signal active TCM" which they said that both are related to the same problem. even though they do not repair any transmissions and they don't have any schematics or technical information, they think that it may be the clutch or the shaft. They did not sound very competent. they did not seem to know what exactly the problem is. Does anyone recommend a solution. should I buy a used tranny or rebuild it?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 AM
4th Gear

from what I've seen, the P1624 basically says 'check the TCM for faults' and is not a specific code. Have you scanned the TCM for codes?

P0730 means you have excessive slip in the tranny, as you know. Seems you have a serious problem that will require the tranny to be pulled.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default valve body and converter

Thanks for your reply. If I gt a rebuild kit how do I know that the valve body and torque converter are god? i don't want to rebuild the tranny and the valve body/ converter are needed and I have to take it out again.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

Thats something for a tranny shop if you dont have experience on trannies (and who does? ) The problem is, it could be the torque converter, but it could be other things, like the pump. A good shop should be able to Vag it while running and narrow it down, as Auditech was saying.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

The issue is that there is not a good transmission shop that can do this in my area... I will be buying the ZF manual and test all the parts individualy while disassembling it.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:51 AM
4th Gear

What tranny do you have?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

I have the 5HP-24A FBC. I just got the ZF rebuilding manual and there seems to be 10 pages worth of special tools required. If I need to replace the clutches including the F piston, what tools are required? how do we test the torque converter? which of the adjustments do we need to door just replace parts and re assemble. I am not sure how to tackle this. The manual takes everything apart including all the planetary gears and the carrier. Is it needed that all of the components to come apart or taking the pump off and both shafts including the drums and the clutches off suffice? Thanks for your assistance

Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Site Moderator

ALWAYS replace the torque converter when re-building an automatic trans on these cars. The torque converters are notorious for only lasting 100k.
You will need a few special tools to do the job, but i never used all 10 of them. The stuff like the pullers/punches and specific press tools etc. are the ones you need to have. The rest of them like snap ring pliers, picks and special hand tools you can pick up at harbor frieght or even at Sears for a much cheaper price.
Its been a while since i went after a ZF trans re-build, but i do remember that taking apart the planetary gears isn't a must, it depends on the trans. You should be able to do a rebuild without touching the planetary gears. You do however need to make sure that the planetary gears, pump or anyother major componet like the valve body isn't damaged. If it is, it would be cheaper to buy a used trans or one that has already been rebuilt.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
ALWAYS replace the torque converter when re-building an automatic trans on these cars. The torque converters are notorious for only lasting 100k.
You will need a few special tools to do the job, but i never used all 10 of them. The stuff like the pullers/punches and specific press tools etc. are the ones you need to have. The rest of them like snap ring pliers, picks and special hand tools you can pick up at harbor frieght or even at Sears for a much cheaper price.
Its been a while since i went after a ZF trans re-build, but i do remember that taking apart the planetary gears isn't a must, it depends on the trans. You should be able to do a rebuild without touching the planetary gears. You do however need to make sure that the planetary gears, pump or anyother major componet like the valve body isn't damaged. If it is, it would be cheaper to buy a used trans or one that has already been rebuilt.
Thanks for your input. Do you know of a cheap enough place that would rebuild/ replace the convertors? The ZF distributor/ dealer are between $900 and $1100. do you think i need to take the diffrential carrier off. the manul dissassembles everything. thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help