Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Site Moderator

Its in front of the passenger's seat inside a black box. You have to open the box to access the TCM. The vag com will generally sense if there is a problem with the TR via fault codes, but sometimes the linkage or TR switch will cause a gear ratio fault code.
What procedure did you follow to fill the trans? Its really easy to mess it up.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Its in front of the passenger's seat inside a black box. You have to open the box to access the TCM. The vag com will generally sense if there is a problem with the TR via fault codes, but sometimes the linkage or TR switch will cause a gear ratio fault code.
What procedure did you follow to fill the trans? Its really easy to mess it up.
I pulled the carpet back halfway from under the dash, do I need to pull it back all the way to the seat or can I access it through someowhere else? I follwowed the instruction posted on theis form where I put the pan back up, Leveld the car, filled up the pan until it dripped out of the fill hole, started the car and cycled through the gears 2 minutes each while filling the transmission until the fluid was continiously coming out of the hole at 100degrees F.
How do I follow the proper test procedures to eliminate the solenoids, TCM, sensors issue etc. Is there a procedure to test this or a manual? Thanks for your help and time again.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Site Moderator

Yes, the TCM is almost directly in front of the seat, you have to remove the door sill to get at it, its sitting down in a sump.
As for the procedure, 100 degrees is a too hot. If you haven't gotten all the fluid in there by 33C (91F) about 6.5 liters it won't shift correctly and you can get this fault code. When the fluid gets to 100 degrees it will expand to the point where it will spill out faster than you can get it all in there. I would drain it back out, put about 4 liters in there before starting the motor. Watch the trans temp on the vag com, continue adding while shifting through the gears (you will need another person if you don't have the gravity feed tool) then when you are getting close to 30*C make sure you have already put in about 6 liters, if not, you won't make it. Its a pain in the *** procedure and it has to be done perfectly for it to work.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

OK, I just bought a 4.2 with this same error code. A mechanic told the PO it was a bad sensor and you guys are sayign its fluid and a computer right? But has anyone here found it to be anything more serious? I searched and only found 2 thread both blaming fluid levels. I will be taking this to one of 2 mechanics and I just want to give them a good explanation of what they should look for before they just assume I need a trans rebuilt.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Yes, the TCM is almost directly in front of the seat, you have to remove the door sill to get at it, its sitting down in a sump.
As for the procedure, 100 degrees is a too hot. If you haven't gotten all the fluid in there by 33C (91F) about 6.5 liters it won't shift correctly and you can get this fault code. When the fluid gets to 100 degrees it will expand to the point where it will spill out faster than you can get it all in there. I would drain it back out, put about 4 liters in there before starting the motor. Watch the trans temp on the vag com, continue adding while shifting through the gears (you will need another person if you don't have the gravity feed tool) then when you are getting close to 30*C make sure you have already put in about 6 liters, if not, you won't make it. Its a pain in the *** procedure and it has to be done perfectly for it to work.
I had about 6.25 litres into it, the exact temp was 94 F and the running time was about10 min total. I will peel the carpet off what should I be looking for? my Vag has not arrived yet to diagnose it.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by diablo10
and cycled through the gears 2 minutes each while filling the transmission until the fluid was continiously coming out of the hole at 100degrees F.
It should be only 3 seconds each...per Bentley manual

Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Site Moderator

^^^good call, i didn't see that. I thought he said 2 seconds. Yeah if you are waiting 2 minutes in each gear you aren't doing yourself any favors, you will need to re-do this. You say you DON'T have a VAG COM? How the hell did you monitor the trans temp without the vag com?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

^^^good call, i didn't see that. I thought he said 2 seconds. Yeah if you are waiting 2 minutes in each gear you aren't doing yourself any favors, you will need to re-do this. You say you DON'T have a VAG COM? How the hell did you monitor the trans temp without the vag com?
I followed a procedure that was posted in the A6 forum. I monitored the temperature via a temp probe into the fluid and another gauge on the bottom of the pan. I just got a Vag com off ebay and it is reading the same code as I got with a generic unit P0730. Also, I notice when I put it into D before it goes into limp mode, I hear a very soft winding down noise and it stops and it sounds as if it went into gear but only crawls forward ever so slowly but it does not move when I press on the gas. its like its is slipping or partially into gear.??? is there a way to diagnose the TC sensor and the solenoids in the tranny?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Site Moderator

No way you did it right with a temp probe, do it over again. Especially if you are hearing noises going into gear, if doing it the second time doesn't work, give it to a pro.
There is a way to diagnose a TC using the vag com monitoring the stall speed and TCC lock up, but if you don't know the specs you won't know what you're looking at.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

No way you did it right with a temp probe, do it over again. Especially if you are hearing noises going into gear, if doing it the second time doesn't work, give it to a pro.
There is a way to diagnose a TC using the vag com monitoring the stall speed and TCC lock up, but if you don't know the specs you won't know what you're looking at.
Thank you for all your help. I will be taking it to a VW mechanic hopefully they find what the problem is. I tried it again today, and I noticed that the rpm does go down when I put it in drive and it rolls forward slightly and then it stops, when I push on the gas it wont roll forward anymore. I will keep everyone posted once they let me know what is wrong with it (next week). Thank you

Quick Reply: P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help