Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pls respond ... Oil leak from sensor area

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Pls respond ... Oil leak from sensor area

1995 Audi A6 FWD.

There is heavy engine oil leak probably from the sensor that is above and left to the oil cooler. What sensor is this - oil pressure sensor or oil temperature sensor. Also is a leak from this sensor a common phenomenon in these models with high mileage. The leak is not from the cooler. I have alraedy replaced ist O-rings.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Pls respond ... Oil leak from sensor area

The heavy oil leak was from the oil pressure sensor which is white in color and the pressure range is 1.6 to 2.0 bars. Looks like with age the pressure sensor was not able to handle anymore pressure and developed a big leak in it. This sensor is located above and left to the oil cooler. You can find this product at www.importec.com for little under four dollars.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Forgot one thing, you need a socket of size 15/16 and this socket should be about 4" long to reach and remove the sensor from the front. You will have to remove the drive belt to reach the sensor easily from the front of vehicle and under the hood. You do not have to lift the vehicle as you can do this job by just leaning inside under the hood from the front. It took me about 10 minutes to do the job which costed around $10 for sensor and socket.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 AM

Just to add some more info for other's that may be searching about oil switch's. The oil switch that was replaced above was the high pressure oil switch (single white wire) that is normaly open circuit below 2000rpm. This can be replaced without removing drive belt, easy from below the car. Remove engine pan cover under the car. I only had a standard socket set to use, not a 4" socket but it would help to remove the switch as the wire connecter stick's out a bit.

My car A6 1995 V6 ABC engine.
I'm looking for some info on the low pressure switch/sender, the one that works below 2000rpm. I have looked everywhere on the net, some ppl say it's on the engine head some have an all in one oil pressure sending unit/oil pressure switch as in the picture from www.12v.org\engine\index_06227374 but this is not an ABC engine.
My small hand manual said if you turn on the ignition a oil warning light will come on and go out after the engine is started in the system check. This is a new car to me and this warning is not working. But the high pressure switch is working ok and if i short it to ground i get the oil warning light with sound over 2000rpm. So all i need to do is find the other sensor/switch for the ABC engine, that's if it has one :-)
Mybe it was ever used as i can not find it.
Please help.