Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem unlocking car

Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem unlocking car

Hi, I have just purchased a 1997 Audio A6 2.4 se.

The problem that has just developed is that when I go to unlock the car, the door button pops up, but the driver's door does not unlock. A bit of a problem! When I put the key in the door and turn the key forward or back and hold it in that position, all the windows wind down! Then I can open the door internally.

However, obviously something is wrong here. Anyone got any ideas?

BTW, I have just gone out to car and now all is working normally again. Now the doors unlock and the windows don't wind down when I hold the key forward or back. However, I would still appreciate some ideas as I suspect there is an intermitent fault there.

Update. Yes the same problem is happening again. Obviously an intermittent fault

Old 07-16-2006, 03:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Problem unlocking car

Interesting. I have just purchased a '97 A6 Avant (last weekend) and luckily have not that problem. However, when I do go to unlock the doors, it appears that the unlock feature is laboring to unlock the doors. I am just used to a quick and snappy unlock, this is kinda slow although it works.

I did not know about the window feature. I wonder, have not looked in the manual yet, if it possibly has to do with the doors being locked or not? Just a suggestion.

Please post what you find out about the keyless, for I may have a "developing" problem.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-17-2006, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

Hi Brian,

Talked to the local service agent here in Christchurch, New Zealand today. He said it sounds like the door mechanism will need to be replaced. Apparently the part will fail completely at some stage and then the door will not open at all. Cost is around $400 NZ (approx $270 US). I think our door feels similar to the way you have been describing, so you know what to look forward to. At the moment we are experiencing the problem about once every ten activations.

Very pleased with the car otherwise though. Picked it up here in NZ for $11,000 (US $6800) with only 120000k on the clock. Its absolutely immaculate and runs beautifully other than for a few annoying problems like one I have described. Once I get those ironed out it will be great.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the heads up. I have done/am doing the wear items. I have already replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, added K&N airtake system, replaced the front rotors and brakes (have the rears, just not the time). I had to send the cruise control module to be rebuilt ($59 +$20 S&H). Looking for a stock CD changer, rear cargo cover, and miscellaneous items. Love the car as well, I missed having AWD (used to own a Subaru Legacy GT).

OBTW, the windows rolling down and up when you use the key is an option you can turn on and off. The trick is rolling the window up while in the car. Once it is all the way up, release the button, then press it again for 1 second. Now just lock or unlock your car with the key and hold it for a second or so. It will roll the windows up or down, depending on what you are doing (locking or unlocking) the car.

Brian