Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default question

why does my oil pressure light come on? I live in portland oregon and it has gotten pretty hot!! so i talked to a mechic that told me to change to a different oil. Sounds kinda fishy to me. let me know

Old 07-01-2015, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

This isn't really fishy.

Check this link out for different oil weights and how temperature will effect it.

Depending on what oil is already in the engine, it's actually a good starting point if the wrong weight is believed to be in the crank case. Obviously, this goes without saying, use extreme caution with such a warning light. Lack of adequate oil pressure will cause serious damage to the engine in a very short period of time.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

okay thank you! I had to have the dealership i bought the car from fix the vehicle! something broke inside the timing chains. So they replaced all 3 timing belts etc. And now they put 5w-30 in when the car takes 10w-30. (idoits) Makes me worried that something is still wrong within the engine.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

Year/model of car? Any codes? What exactly did they replace (there is only one timing belt on older Audis)? Generally Audis take 5W-40 full synthetic oil. When it's cold, the viscosity is "lighter" so it is easier to turn over the engine and lube the parts prior to warm-up; and when it is cold the viscosity is "thicker" so the oil better adheres to those same parts.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2005 audi a6 4.2 the dealership is pretty shady.I just get a red light that says my oil pressure is low. So All I really know is they had to replace the timing chains. And I made them replace the swaybar because it wasnt even attached to my front end. I looked into the manual and it said to use 10w-30
I talked to the mechinic that did the repairs and he said to change to 10w 40

Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

The 4.2 is a pretty reliable, solid engine. A few things can result in a low oil pressure reading. 1 - Actual low pressure due to oil level being low or too low a viscosity for conditions. 2 - A bad sensor. 3 - Oil passages are gunked up and unlike a heart, the result is low pressure not high.

How long do you have to drive it and under what conditions before you get the alarm? I.e., is it short drives or after many miles of highway?

Finally, if your dealer is a schmuck, find a good indie shop. Post that question to the forum under a new thread, e.g., "Need good indie shop - East Armpit TN". Make sure to change the city/state to yours.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

when it is 60 degrees or less the oil pressure sensor doesnt go off untill i hit the gas hard or drive it for 10 miles or so. Sometimes I start the car(95 degree day) and it immediately goes off. thank you very much. I dont know anything about cars. but I am willing to learn.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by joshreese20
when it is 60 degrees or less the oil pressure sensor doesnt go off untill i hit the gas hard or drive it for 10 miles or so. Sometimes I start the car(95 degree day) and it immediately goes off. thank you very much. I dont know anything about cars. but I am willing to learn.
I think they didn't do a good job on the timing chains. My father had the same problem with his BMW 740 IL 2001 this was the issue

may be you should take it back to the stealership and raise that issue they should be able to diagnose the issue. I am going on a limb here with that. Also that viscosity won't hurt your car my father changes the thickness of oil depending on the season 10W30 during winter and 5W30 during summer if i am correct. Here is a link about the oil weights.

What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil? - HowStuffWorks

ill check back to see if that helps i hope it does

Old 07-07-2015, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

So yesterday I went and got a new oil pressure sensor. This morning when I pulled the old one off it was soaked in oil the actual sensor and the electral leading into the sensor. So I wiped the electral all down and I put a sealent on the new oil pressure sensor and so far I havent had any more problems.