Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions: I'm upgrading from a Passat to an A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Questions: I'm upgrading from a Passat to an A6

I've found a 2001 2.7t A6 and I'm leaning toward going with it over a Passat (my last Passat was just totaled). I'm comfortable working on the VW, but I've never messed with an Audi. I've always shied away from Audis because, although I could by one, I couldn't afford the maintenance. Are A6s user friendly, or should I stick within my financial class and stay with the VW. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

If you're comfortable working on the VW Passat, you should not have any problem working on an Audi. But Audis are a higher maintanence vehicle, especially the 2.7T motor, but you already know this.
So if you are willing to spend more money/time on maintanence and get a more responsive ride, then make the move up to Audi.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear

As much as people like to think the passats are very close to the A6, they are not. I found this out at my work, getting out of my A6 and into a 4 motion 2002 2.8 passat. Identical underneath, suspension, engine, tranny, exhaust... But, the driving position is completly different. The Audis dash is much higher, you dont sit as upright. You will have the same front suspension problems as they are the same parts. If you get a 2.8 or a 4.2, the maintanence will be about the same as your vw, probably easier with the 2.8, more room under the hood. The 3.0 is basically the same as the 2.8, just more expensive parts. The 2.7 has all the problems with turbos. Im 18, and I can afford my 2.8, even with all the suspension b.s. and the "AUDI" badge. You can still get most of your parts at your local vw dealer, and save some cash.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by emanlooc
I've found a 2001 2.7t A6 and I'm leaning toward going with it over a Passat (my last Passat was just totaled). I'm comfortable working on the VW, but I've never messed with an Audi. I've always shied away from Audis because, although I could by one, I couldn't afford the maintenance. Are A6s user friendly, or should I stick within my financial class and stay with the VW. Thanks for your help!
The thing is you cant wait for something to break. You must do the service at the correct mileage and your car will run forever. As for 2.7T's its more work. Like all audis youve got the Timing Belt thats due from anywhere of 70k to 100k miles (an easy 1+k job right there if you dont DIY) Throttle body and throttle body boots tear, turbos blow, wheel bearings have been common to go, CV Joints, upper control arms, and the clutch. Some of these are mega easy if your good with the wrench others are hard without proper equipment and knowledge (turbos, Timing belt). I have a 2.8 and i love it. Moving on to the 2.7T in the spring. Whats the asking price for the car? Ask for maintance records for the car. If the mileage is over 80k Timing Belt kit (water pump, tensioners, rollers etc) are due to be changed so you can negotiate the price there. If its a 6 speed manual test drive and see if the clutch is in good shape. Knit pick everything on the car and try to talk the guy down the best you can. Also if possible before you by get the codes read on a Vag Com to see if there is any codes being thrown.