Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling noise from RR wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Rattling noise from RR wheel

So I've been experiencing this metallic sounding rattling noise from the right rear wheel for a while now, and I just cannot figure out what's causing it. It's a 2000 A6 with the 2.7t and 6sp manual. I've had the car on stands and let it run in gear, but it won't make the noise unless it's on the ground w/ the suspension loaded. I've checked all the suspension components for wear and found none, and the wheel has no play in it at all. The brake shield is tight and isn't rubbing, so there has to be something else making this damn noise.

I've also experienced a clunking noise, seemingly from the LEFT rear wheel area that I can't find either. That may be a different issue, and I was thinking it may be the sway bar, so I'll pull it off and drive it real quick without to see if it goes away. But that still wouldn't explain that rattling/clinking noise from the RR side.

Any ideas?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

Did you check your exhaust heat shields?
Did you check your license plate?

It might be one of those two and it just sounds like it is coming from the RR wheel well.

Bob

Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
3rd Gear

Did you check the sway bar links' bushings thoroughly?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear

This may be too obvious, but did you check the compartment behind the tail light?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Well, it may be the sway bar end link bushings, but they seem to be quite tight. I've checked all heat shields because I had an RPM specific rattle for a while that turned out to be a loose heat shield. I was hoping there would have been a common problem that Audi owners could have pointed me right to it

License plate is tight, and I looked in the compartment behind the tail light, nothing rattles there...

I haven't had a chance to pull the sway bar yet, but I have a feeling it's a culprit of my clunk, but I can't see it being the source of the rattle. I had a friend stand on the curb while I drove by slowly, so we know the rattle is from the outside, and from that specific area.

I'll go remove that sway bar now and see if anything changes.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

oh oh oh oh ..... ( he says in this best horshack voice ) i just had this one ....
drive down a rough piece of raod that will trigger the noise .. put your left foot on the brake while maintaining gas with the right foot ... if the problem dissapears you have a loose pad ( i will bet the inboard pad ) .. i had to clean out the insdie caliper piston .. rebend the tabs on the pad and put antisqueel on the back of the bad .. put it back together .. done ..