Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Avant washer hose broke...repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear
Default Rear Avant washer hose broke...repair?

So I finally fixed the wiper motor on my Avant, and after 4 years with it not spraying it finally sprays. Problem is, the hose broke where enters the roof by the passenger side hinge. It is a ribbed type hose and I don't really know how to repair it. I am not replacing the whole thing, that would require dropping the headliner and all sorts of crap. I've lived 4 years without the washer part, I can wait till the car dies before I go fishing a hose from front to rear. So, any suggestions on how to reconnect the broken pieces?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I tried putting a hose adapter like the one shown below (except not a T, just 2 ends) with some silicon sealant and it leaked a little.

Any suggestions are welcome. Even ones that say give up.

*******UPDATE*******

Well after several part stores, home stores and such, I finally found a suitable solution. I found some fuel hose at Ace Hardware and some plastic super glue at a auto parts store. The hose is just big enough to force both ends in. You can't clamp the hose as the smallest clamps still deform the fuel hose and cause it to change shape making it leak. So once the ribbed hose was inserted into the fuel hose, I glued it in place. No leaks. YAY. Took 5 attempts at different types of hoses, clamps, glues, caulking. I know it seems simple to splice two hoses together, but this f-cking ribbed hose likes to leak. Why Audi chose ribbed type hoses for the washer system is just f-cked up. Oh well, all is well now. Oh and the fix had to flexible as it's part of the hinge of the rear hatch.

Last edited by Jeffla; 12-21-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:09 AM
1st Gear

Hose clamps?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Personally I wouldn't bother fixing it. My rear window sprayer just crapped out too, though I don't know if its the pump, motor, or a leak yet. It was nice to have, but I've been thinking about doing a rear wiper delete for a cleaner look anyway.

If you're set on fixing it, you could try some small hose clamps or zip ties in addition to the silicone like roadrune said?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

I'll give the hose clamps a try. I had on my wish list for the last 4 years the wiper repair kit to fix the busted sprayer and after getting it installed, I find a broken hose. I guess I should say it probably was the broken hose the whole time. I didn't try clamps at 1st for fear it would crack the brittle hose. But I suppose I've got nothing to lose.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

hose clamps or maybe clean up the ends of the hose, put silicone or maybe even fast setting epoxy over the barbed ends of the plastic "joiner" piece, then assemble it and secure the ends with plastic tie-wraps pulled tightly