Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake & Rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear Brake & Rotor replacement

Hello Everyone,

I have recently joined this forum, and the reason being i wanted to get some intel regarding my 2013 Audi A6, which is at 27000 miles.

I was told by my dealership in Chicago Downtown, that i shall be needing to replace my Rear Brake Pads and Rotors, and it is recommended to replace both simultaneously.

Although, i got my car checked by a Euro Car mechanic in Brookfield, IL area, and was told, my Rotors are good and do not need replacement, only will require Pads to be replaced.

If anybody could throw light on this topic, and help me take a decision on this, would be great.

Thanks & Regards

KRT_A6_2013

Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

The good old pads and rotor debate.

Audi recommends that they be changed in pairs.

From experience I have tried just doing a pad slap on my A6 and to be honest, I did feel as though the braking power was slightly diminished because I was trying to bed in a new set of pads into an old rotor and forcing the pad to match the contours of the rotor that had been worn in by the previous pads.

I wouldn't say it was to the point where I felt unsafe driving the car, but I would imagine a 60 to 0 braking test would reveal maybe 5 to 10 extra feet in distance needed to achieve a full stop. It's not huge, but I'm guessing this is why Audi wants to always do both at the same time. And probably money, too.

If you're trying to save money and maximize performance, see if you can find a shop that will cut those rear rotors so the surface is nice and smooth and then have the pads replaced. That will probably give you the best bang for your buck.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Hello Nebuchadnezzar,

Thank you very much for the input. I have found a local shop, and the owner of the shop said, my rotors looked fine and do not require to be replaced, although he agreed upon replacing the rotors if I get them, well I am still debating whether to replace the rotors or not.

Any comments?

Regards KT