Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recoding the Graphical interface (MMI)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Default Recoding the Graphical interface (MMI)

im looking to redo my entire graphical interface on my mmi, has anyone done it yet? i have a feeling im going to have to get the update disks, decompile them an make necessary changes.

but my questions is has anyone actually done it yet? just so i have a starting point.

such as tools needed, would i have to connect right to the cpu. im really at a standstill, i dont want to ruin anything.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM

That would be equivalent to buying a broken Toshiba U405-S2628 laptop off of ebay without the operating system on the hard drive. So, if you were able to repair the broken Toshiba, you would still have to know how to reinstall the operating system.
However, the difference is that the Audi software is not only proprietary, but it is only available as object code under license to Audi dealers. The dealers have the necessary information as to how to uninstall and to reinstall this software. Tampering with this MMI software may trigger the immobilizer. Without a copy of the object code, you would have nothing to decompile. The updates, may not be the complete object code. You would have to know which language was used to write the source code, before you could select a decompiler. Next, decompilers available to the public may not correctly decompile the software, since a proprietary compiler may have been used which may include nonstandard Audi comands burnt into the hardware. Some type of activation may be required, before the software functions.
Hence, even with high tech knowledge and equipment it would be a waste of time, since the results may be limited by hardware and legal problems. Decompiling is usually a violation of the license agreement.

Last edited by a6hcw; 01-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.