Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote start problems

Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Default remote start problems

Please help as I'm at a loss as to what to tell my installer. In January I got a compustar Pro P2WSSR installed on my 2001 Audi A6 2.7t. The installer is a compustar authorized installer and had said he had lots of experience. It took a really long time for him to do the install, and it had me wondering how many Audi's he had actually done. Anyway after the install everything worked great and I was very happy with the work. He used my valet key and put it in a box and there is a wire ring around my ignition for the bypass unit thing.

A couple of weeks ago on a cold morning I tried the remote start, and it came back saying it was started. When I got to my car the parking lights were on and the electronics were on inside but the car was not started. When I tried to start (without killing the power) by just inserting my key and turning it cranked but wouldn't turn over. I had to put my foot on the break to kill it, then it starts fine. Experimenting with it sometimes it doesn't crank hardly at all, and others it cranks and seems to turn over and start but then kills. Sometimes it won't start 2 times or so but then will the third. I finally noticed that when it tries to remote start the little key indicator on my dash flashes at me. If I put my key in and try and do the remote start, it starts everytime. This morning it was fairly cold, I tried remote start like 5 times, all the times it cranked, seemed to turn, then killed (and feedback said it started). Then I put my key in and did the remote start and it worked fine, so I'm thinking it is something to do with the bypass.

I talked to my installer, and he said that he thinks the chip in the burried key has its battery dead, or isn't getting enough power, and isn't getting enough power from the transponder when it starts. He made it sound like there is nothing he can do about it, other than try and get the chip out of my actual key and somehow attach it to the ring directly. Would that work? It sounds fishy to me that it would be the actual chip in my valet key, and not the wiring/setup of the bypass unit that he did. He said the only solution would be to get a bypass unit that doesn't need a key but they don't make one for my car. I know that people do installs on these for Audi's and have them working so do I need to find someone that has and have them look at how he did the bypass to see why it isn't working, or could it really be a problem with the actual chip in my valet key?

Can anyone fill me in on how the chip works, he is saying it isn't getting charged, is this even possible?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: remote start problems

When we did a remote start on my wife's Buick Park Ave 10 years ago we had to remove the chip from the key and put it in the by pass thing to get a relaible start. I am not sure about the Audi. The Buick Key did not require a battery.

All I know is that I have read a bunch of horror stories about remote start and Audis when the installer did not know what he was doing. For that matter once in a while the Buick would looseits mind and not start with the fob. It usually took a trip to the installer so he could do some type of funky reprogramming.Once he understood that I was not going to pay and pay every time he looked at the car we had a good relationship.

"OH perfect1 don't comment about the Buick - I've grown up since then!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: NH_USA

When we did a remote start on my wife's Buick Park Ave 10 years ago we had to remove the chip from the key and put it in the by pass thing to get a relaible start. I am not sure about the Audi. The Buick Key did not require a battery.

All I know is that I have read a bunch of horror stories about remote start and Audis when the installer did not know what he was doing. For that matter once in a while the Buick would looseits mind and not start with the fob. It usually took a trip to the installer so he could do some type of funky reprogramming.Once he understood that I was not going to pay and pay every time he looked at the car we had a good relationship.

"OH perfect1 don't comment about the Buick - I've grown up since then!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I saw it and from that point on I wasn't even processing the rest of the post, my eyes were just looking at the words I was actually thinking about what I could say about that Buick.

I don't have to say it but you know I'm upset... a Buick? PARK AVE?

I hope you bought a performance mod chip off of ebay for it

Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear

LOL The Buick was a rolling living room that my wife used while getting her doctorate. At about 130K it lunched the motor and I gave up. Got her an Audi (my son worked as a service writer at the local Audi garage) and never looked back until she wanted a van. But that's a very long story.