Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHAKING ON HIGHWAY

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 PM
1st Gear
Default SHAKING ON HIGHWAY

can my rims be the cause of the shaking? i bought oe wheels from ebay. was that a bad move? i have the balanced twice and still shaking between 60 and 75 mph. what do i doooooooooooooo?

Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: SHAKING ON HIGHWAY

Ray, I feel your pain but I think you need to accept that there's only so much we can do here -- you need to find a highly trusted wheel shop to help you out. We've already suggested the Roadforce balancing by the Hunter system. That's the best diagnostic tool out there for this sort of problem -- when in the hands of a well trained technician. If this did not solve your problems, you may want to entertain having it done again somewhere else to see if a better technician makes a difference (save your paperwork, receipt, and the machine print out -- if there's a problem, you can take this info back to the original place to dispute their work and maybe get a refund). Check your regional forum to find a well respected wheel shop in your area that has a known-good technician.

Another option is to get a Hunter straight-track alignment. Unlikely that this is it (would produce pulling instead of vibration), but it's worth checking. If none of these steps improve things, I'd suggest putting another set of wheels on the car and seeing if you still have the vibration. If so, you can start to suspect the suspension instead of the wheels. If not, you know you've got a wheel issue. Check the appropriate regional forum and maybe you can borrow a set of wheels from a fellow Audi owner who lives near you (many of us have muliptle sets of wheels).

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

I had this problem once with my old 99' Audi A6 Avant. Acording to my old mechanic. which I changed for ripping me off. Said it was A left control arm and Something with my front left brake caliper. one I payed for all this the problem was gone. Sometimes in the spring it would come back due to mud in my wheels.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 PM

one area not noticed by most is the shock absorbers, mine shook like hell till I changed those and now its sound I also did the balancing act 3 time with no effect so it was the shocks