Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Side Mirrors

Hey guys this might sound like a stupid question, i was wondering if it would be hard for me to change the side mirrors on my 98 A6 to auto dimming ones? would this be hard to do?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Side Mirrors

Auto dimming side mirrors huh?? Not too familar with them on A6, are your mirrors tinted, either one gold one blue, or both blue? If not give these a glance, they look hot and work well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...mZ280178507340

Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

well i took my car to audi to see how much it would cost me to get the mirror's replaced because they had water damage (blue tinted), and the technician there asked me if i had the auto dimming side mirrors or just the normal tinted ones. I checked around and found out that some A6's are equipped with the auto dimming side mirrors. i find it kinda odd that i have the interior auto dimming mirror in my car and not the side ones.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

The auto dimming rearview is standard in all AUDI's 1999 and higher. The auto dimming side mirrors which also have the auto defrost function are part of many packages that are options at the time of purchase. The auto defrost side mirrors are part of the cold weather package and the auto dimming side mirrors are part of the luxury package.

1. Luxury Package
2. Sport package
3. Cold weather package
4. Warm weather package
5. Performance package

I have all the packages known to AUDI in 2001 and the side dimming mirrors are a very cool feature. I would imagine that a set of these off ebay could be easily wired and installed. Avoid the dealer for these items. My old A4 had permenantly blue tinted side mirrors and they worked fine too. Your choice.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

has anyone switched to auto dim from normal? would the wiring be complicated? thanx

Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: prbayha

The auto dimming rearview is standard in all AUDI's 1999 and higher. The auto dimming side mirrors which also have the auto defrost function are part of many packages that are options at the time of purchase. The auto defrost side mirrors are part of the cold weather package and the auto dimming side mirrors are part of the luxury package.

1. Luxury Package
2. Sport package
3. Cold weather package
4. Warm weather package
5. Performance package

I have all the packages known to AUDI in 2001 and the side dimming mirrors are a very cool feature. I would imagine that a set of these off ebay could be easily wired and installed. Avoid the dealer for these items. My old A4 had permenantly blue tinted side mirrors and they worked fine too. Your choice.
Quiet right, though, auto dimming side mirrors, and interior mirror with compass, is a part of Premium Package. Luxury Package only includes Premium Leather, Power Rear Window Sunshade, manual rear side. I am actually looking at my invoice.. Otherwise, its confusing.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Wow!! Had know clue Audi offered so many packages!! Not sure which I have! My rear view mirror is auto dimmed and the side mirrors are heated and have a blueish tint but have noticed at night that they seem to dim with the rear view! Pretty cool!!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

is it possible to have the interior dimming mirror and not the side ones? and i found out that the brown discoloration on my mirrors isnt water damage, it's some kind of fluid leaking.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: daschief

is it possible to have the interior dimming mirror and not the side ones? and i found out that the brown discoloration on my mirrors isnt water damage, it's some kind of fluid leaking.
No Sir. If you have premium package you will have both, or else none. However, if you bought a pre-owned car, may be, the previous owner upgraded the interior and left the outside, as it is more tedious to upgrade the exterior...not to mention - expensive.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: daschief

If your mirrors have a black plastic edge going around the perimeter, they are autodimming. If they are getting discolored and a fluid is leaking, they have lost their autodim capabilities. Replacement glass is expensive, but you can find used glass on eBay for a fraction of the retail cost.

It is actually "possible" to have autodimming inside and non-autdimming outside...if the previous owner of the car replaced the failed autodim mirrors with non-autodim glass because of the cost.