Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silicone lubricant; Silimate Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear
Default Silicone lubricant; Silimate Sealant

Bentley manual talks about brushing lightly
the inside and outside surfaces of the cylinder head cover gasket with silicone lubricant D 007 000 04
Beside the fact that I would assume they talk about valve cover gasket, I would like to know what similar products available at local autoparts stores can be used in lieu of something that doesn't seem to be found anywhere online.
-
-
-
Also, they talk about
carefully coat(ing) four edges on cylinder head sealing surfaces with Silimate, Part No. AMV 174 004 01 using a small screwdriver
I would assume they still talk about the mating surface with the valve cover gasket, since they show a pic of the head's top, with the camshaft.
Would RTV sealant work as good as the aformentioned "Silimate"?
Blue? Clear? Gray?
-
-
-
Lastly, beside the fact that Bentley is extremely confusing concerning the right "end" of the head, the coolant pipe O-ring's edge suppose to be coated with yet a different type of sealant paste: AMV 188 000 02
Since a p[icture is worth a thousand words, here's the confusion I was refering to:
Name:  CylinderHeadCoverInstall.png
Views: 695
Size:  52.4 KB
They show the rear end of the head where the coolant pipe slides in, yet it refers to the same O-ring as
a sealing cap in the appropriate front end
Leaving the confusion aside, I would like to know what you guys with infinite Audi experience and know-it-all, such as 99A6Q, recommend as using instead of all these VW/Audi only lubricants-sealants.

Much obliged. Thanks.

Last edited by chefro; 05-06-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:39 AM
4th Gear

silicone lubricant D 007 000 04 = Silicone grease.. Basically helps the gasket move and settle while tightening. Just about any will work.

Would RTV sealant work as good as the aformentioned "Silimate"?
Blue? Clear? Gray?
Black works..but look below.

They show the rear end of the head where the coolant pipe slides in, yet it refers to the same O-ring as

Quote:
a sealing cap in the appropriate front end
Not O-ring. Those are where you put the Freeze Plugs you bought. You can use Permatex Hi-Tac or INDIAN HEAD Shellack. Blue or green Loc-tite works too

Tell you what I use instead of RTV on the valve cover, oil pan, and tranny gaskets is some stuff called 'The Right Stuff' from Permatex. Works great as an all around sealant and gasket maker - you can place the car back into service in 1-2 minutes. You can use it on the Freeze Plugs too.. I love this stuff.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm

Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Site Moderator

Permatex is good stuff, i have a few cans in my tool box myself

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks a lot, guys.
I have some white silicone grease (Permatex, too), I'll just use that for the valve cover gaskets.
I'll look for that "Right Stuff" to touch up those 4 "corners" around the cam seals, although I have some black RTV already. I even have some Victor Reinz high temp sealant.
Anyway, thanks for the clues, gents.

As far as the "confusion", I had to go and take some pics.
In the Bentley illustration, the area of that "sealing cap" looks exactly as the "flange-like" diamond shaped area where the coolant pipes fasten to the heads rear.
The front of the heads have indeed freeze plugs, but they don't look anything alike the ones I purchased (listed for my car....lol), and the area is "shaved", doesn't really resemble a diamond-like shaped "flange".
That's where the confusion came from.
When you say "elephant", most people around the globe know what that represents.
"Sealing cap" didn't sound to me like "freeze plug" (I asked long time ago where the heck the freeze plugs are located and the question remained in the air), and the illustration threw me off.
Thanks for the clarification, Jim.

For edification:
-
freeze plugs in my heads vs purchased freeze plugs - Driver side head front:

-
Passenger side head front (no diamond-like shaped resemblance to Bentley's illustration):
Name:  Head4.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  27.3 KB
-
Driver Side head rear:
Name:  Head3.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  28.2 KB
-
Passenger side head rear:

-
Name:  Head5.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  36.9 KB

-
-
-
Thanks again guys.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
4th Gear

Well... you bought 2 parts too many

Freeze Plug, Seal Cap, same thing.

If you have RTV Black, just use that. That Right Stuff is another 12-15 bucks.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM
3rd Gear

Not a big deal; they were like 66 cents/piece
AAz calls them "expansion plug" also....LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
4th Gear

ya.. thats the 'technical' term...