Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springs or coilover

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default springs or coilover

hello i just put a set of 19" rims on my 01 a6. i want to lower it, but i don't know what to do. im tight on money cause i have to start preparing for college. so my mechanic has an a6 as well but he has the h&r coilovers. but that cost $1300. he told me that thats the best thing to do, but i can also just change the springs, which would cost me $350. but he said that option #2 can mess up my car. another mechanic told me to just buy the shocks and make sure that i change them in the winter. please comment back and let me know. thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM

go with coilovers dude, i had the same dilemma and my friend said that it if bought just springs i would end up paying more for possible damage rather than just buying the coilovers in the first place.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by joesta19
hello i just put a set of 19" rims on my 01 a6. i want to lower it, but i don't know what to do. im tight on money cause i have to start preparing for college. ..............................please comment back and let me know. thanks
I'm just curious: will you be a non-traditional student or you just finished high school?
In either scenario, if I was on a tight budget, probably I would have enjoyed the car the way it was rather than going for "trendy looks" and spend money I could otherwise save for future maintenance or repairs.
Was it something wrong with your standard wheels, or was it imperative you get the 19 inch wheels? How much did you spend on those, 800-1000?
If you really want to lower it, you could have put those money toward doing so.
You don't go to college for a degree in Economics, do you?
I would personally pass on lowering the car as it doesn't do anything as far as performance improvement...

Old 07-20-2009, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
I'm just curious: will you be a non-traditional student or you just finished high school?
In either scenario, if I was on a tight budget, probably I would have enjoyed the car the way it was rather than going for "trendy looks" and spend money I could otherwise save for future maintenance or repairs.
Was it something wrong with your standard wheels, or was it imperative you get the 19 inch wheels? How much did you spend on those, 800-1000?
If you really want to lower it, you could have put those money toward doing so.
You don't go to college for a degree in Economics, do you?
I would personally pass on lowering the car as it doesn't do anything as far as performance improvement...
well i just got out of high school. the car is paid off, the rims with brand new tires were only $700 and they were a grad gift from my father. now i've always wanted to lower it since i got the car. my dad knows how to work with cars so i dont have to spend money at a shop. so in my situation on how im tight on cash. i can either spend the $300 now on springs, or save up little by little and next summer get the coilovers that will cost me $1500.