Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
1st Gear
Question Strange transmission issue

My 1999 A6 2.8 Quattro has a strange transmission problem. First, when you slide into reverse, it really "slams" into reverse. If you shift out of park slowly, the slam and lurch is less violent.

It shifts from first to fourth very smooth, no flare, no noises, buttery smooth. The problem is NO OVERDRIVE. No overdirve at all, and it doesn't matter if I put the shifter in any of the lower gears, it does not go into those gears, just stays in drive. Tiptronic doesn't work either. The tranny doesn't try to shift into OD, again, no noise, no strange manners. Also, feel every shift to first coming to a stop.

Passenger floor board is dry as is the box holding the TCM and the TCM itself. No check engine lights at all. "Master" Audi tech drove the car today and had no idea. Originally he thought it would be torque converter, but like I said, every other shift is great. He also said that he didn't really see mount problems in these Audis (Audi's?) but that seems like it would fix the reverse problem.

I've read about the "limp home" mode. Could this be some funky mode like that? Still trying to find a reasonable rate to pull the codes, but is there a way to tell if it is in "limp home?"

Sorry for the lengthy post, but any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Anyone?? Hello??

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM
3rd Gear

First of all, do you have any trouble codes? (you either need to get yourself a VagCom - Ross-tech.com, or you need to have your "master" Audi tech pull up the codes)
Next, you can try to do a "fabled" and well-disputed ATF change.
If that doesn't alleviate the problem, then you probably may have a bad solenoid, a servo, or the likes.
You really need to pull up the trouble codes before anything else.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM

hello everyone.
Anyone knows the best oil for audis sedans

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
then you probably may have a bad solenoid, a servo, or the likes.
Can you elaborate here?

And to the OP: check http://www.vagtoolfinder.com/ for people in your area w/ VAGCOM (yeah there really isn't a search on there). Otherwise you could bring it to Autozone to have them pull the codes.

Last edited by nm3210; 01-15-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 AM
3rd Gear

Well, if only the Overdrive doesn't engage, and everything else shifts like buttah, then probably it means:
- either the solenoid valve responsible for sending the oil to the servo doesn't work as it should for that gear/speed
- one of the clutches (for OD) is burned off

It's only theoretical (although I would think logical), as I never opened up a transmission case.
He eliminated the TCM as being bone dry and functioning, didn't he?
If you know better what's going on or what can cause the problem in his transmission, then please do tell him.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I need a thermostat in this car so I am doing the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat next week. The car has only 55,000 miles on it, but if I'm in there, I might as well do all three. I guess I'll break down and get the Vagcom, too.

Does anyone know if the tranny servos are all internal, or are they accessable on the outside of the transmission case?

If anybody else has ideas, they'd be much appreciated.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear

I found something that may help shed some light on the issue for you:
http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm

and

Part1 + Part2

Enjoy.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 AM

A 1999 A6 with C5 chassis would have a 5 speed automatic transmission, so overdrive may be 5th gear. When an automatic transmission is properly working it will smoothly shift from gear to gear. Perhaps a new filter and new ATF may help. Also, the ATF level must be checked per the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual.
As my Audis have 4 speed automatic transmissions, I do not have any experience with the Tiptronic. However, if you have VAG-COM, then you could check for transmission error codes. A OBDII code reader is unable to read these codes.