Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Auto Trans stuck in Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Default Tiptronic Auto Trans stuck in Limp Mode

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a used 99 A6 with ~100K miles. One morning I tried to move the car but it wouldn't go into reverse (shifter moves but no activity in trans) and when in drive, it wouldn't upshift, just rev and creep along slowly.

I brought the car into a local transmission shop, and they said they were taking transmission error codes and the computer was not reporting the right gear through the debug tester as they walked through the shifter positions. They replaced the multi-function switch and started to get accurate gear readings through the computer, however the car is still stuck in limp mode. They claim to have walked through the vehicle's electrical schematics looking for bad grounds or loose connections, but didnt find anything. Now they want to replace the computer under the passenger floor carpet.

1) Does a computer replacement make sense for this type of problem?
2) Is it possible the replacement multi-function switch was also bad?
3) Are there any other transmission sensors or electronics that may be at fault?

Thanks in advance for the help, I am struggling to pay for school as it is, really can't afford a new computer for this thing...

-Mike V