Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Tranny swap

This is probably best directed to HX and to NH.

Got a 90 100 with tranny trouble, gave it to my G'son, it quit the other day. Towed, first will be to drop the pan, clean the screen, drop and clean the valve body, button back up, refill, about 3 quarts, and try it.

Sorry, just thought, Hey, this is A6 thread.

Innyhoo, got an 87 5000, and I think the guys above can best tell me if that box will fit the 90 100. That one's a parts car in my front yard. Don't have a title to it so couldn't scrap it when prices were up on scrap. NOW, I might need the tranny, so that was probably good, IF the tranny will fit.

Physically, I am sure it will. Simple, too. I've done it probably 20 times for reason I won't get into.

Will it have any other probs than speedo ratio? 87 had 14 inch tires, 90 has 15's so maybe speedo sender is different.

My kids and grands are grinding me down.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
2nd Gear

5000 and 100 are different cars - different platform?.
5000 was 100 in Europe, then Audi changed 5000 to 100 then to A6.

Till 92 transmissions are own VAG, then since 92 ((North American Applications)) ZF took over.
I'm not sure if in 87 there were Quattro automatics?
The Torsen was introduced in 89 as far as I remember?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
3rd Gear

Sorry, I don't have a definitive info either. All I know is that C3s around that era all had inline 5 and shared pretty much the same block. With that said, and as you noted, it will probably mount up fine. As for the concern about the wheel size, you have to compair actual tire sizes, not wheel size to get correct diameter.

If both cars are non-turbo, and are front wheel drives, I would think that there would be no problem, but don't quote me on this one.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

I am sorry I posted in the A6 thread. I have an A6, mine own, gave my 90, 100 to my kid, dropped the tranny, got an 87 here and would like to take that one out to replace IF I HAVE to.

It may be a matter of dropping the pan and cleaning, changing fluid. I have done that beaucoup times with another with a dirty converter. I can change that SOB in my sleep.My mech says you can't put THAT tranny in it, it has sat for X years. My yard says that all HIS trannys sat in HIS cars for years till someone called to buy one.

He don't go out and run them every month. They might have sat as long as mine did. They're USED, f'r cris'sake. I got the car. it's basically the same car, same enfine, same body, I don't know why the tranny should be different. I know a VW, the 5 cylinder job, I forget the name, is totally different, ah yes, I think it was the Quantum, 5 cyl, 3 speed, everything in the box was smaller. Nothing would fit.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Daughter has a Toy that the engine blew up, g'son has my Audi that tranny went West. So gave the daughter my old pickup to drive, driving the g'son to work every day. I'm getting too old to have to be HERE NOW to drive someone HERE NOW.

I'd like to, if I have to, put that tranny in that car. 9 X 9 X 9 cube is about what Audi trannies were when no Quattro. That Quattro is a humongous mother. Damned near 4 foot long.

'Nother thing with the people who say put your best tires on the front, NEW Audis in the paper today says that they have tuned the Quattro tranny to put 60% of the torque to the BACK wheels. Seems to me you should put the best tires on the back. Mebbe for steering, best to put the best on the front, but the rears will do most of the driving.

Are they trying to drive us all out of our minds? NOTHING is a GIVEN? Diggers are where you put your best tires. They ain't there, no more. Other end of the car.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

On all wheel drive Audis, up to around 2006, torque was split evenly at 50/50 front to back normally. Fifth generation quattro system, in cars generally newer than 2007 has 40/60 split. In either case, I would put the best tires on the front. Front wheels will eat up tires faster since they turn and pull at the same time, even with 40/60 split. Don't forget, 50/50 or 40/60 is just a starting number. Quattro can transfer up to 100% of all available torque to one side depending on the model.

So going back to the original question, if your cars are both FWDs, and tranny sizes look the same, I would replace it and

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry -I can't help with automatics that far back. Mine were all 5 speed - 5 cylinders - some turbo's... The only drive train problem was a clutch in a 89 200 QT which was a piece of cake and a few CV joints.

A quick check in Audiworld tells us that the 5000 and 100 3 speed Automatics have the same gear ratios but the final overall ratios are different. The final overall ratio is most likely in the differential .

But I understand the Kids and grandkid problems... LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 AM
1st Gear

NH,

Yeah, the kids and grands are grinding me down. Latest is the Toy engine that shoyuld have been there tomorraw AM won't be there till Monday sometime.Daughter can drive the stick truck, get to work and back. G'kids, neither can drive a stick, they gotta stay home the WHOLE weekend, unless mom will drop them off somewhere.

Went to the yard to pay for the Toy motor, and the guy called to see if it was still coming tomorrow. NO. Innyhoo, I asked, for cash, can he cut the price a little. He said since I was willing to wait till Monday, he could knock 50 off. So that's 50 that will cut the total, since I still gotta pay the mechs to put it in.

Asked if they had a tranny for my 90 100 and they do, and it will be 3 bills. So, worst comes to worst, 3 and installation. Try the open and clean first. Easier to drop the pan and valve body and clean and try.

Long story short, I bought my youngest an 85 5000, and differential ate the gears. Bought transaxle, and it was full of mud. Converter and the rest of the parts were scrapped, so pulled the tranny, put my own back in, and ran for a couple weeks. Pulled the valve body, cleaned, refitted, 'nother couple weeks.

I pulled that SOB about 20 times to keep it running. Trash in the converter. Probably put 55 gallons of fluid in that thing in those couple years. Do it in my sleep, almost.

Ratios and tires, 87 is 205/60/14, 90 is 205/60/15's, so OD is larger.

Probably is a waste of time and fluid cleaning the valve body. It quit "right now" according to the kid. Would run in 1 and 2, when it tried to go to Drive, just coasted.

When I got there, I had a bottle of fluid and a tranny funnel. The boy gets out and says "I put the quart and a half I had in it." I looked at that loop WAY down there among the hoses, all greasy and asked how did you put fluid in there, and he said, I put it in THERE!

Added a quart and a half of tranny fluid to the engine oil. STILL won't go.

He's a good kid, an artist, not a mechanic. I should have got hold of him at an early age and smacked him up side the head till he learned basic mechanics. Kinda like some of the guys who post here. Absolutely NO idea of mechanics, and now they need to do some of their own work because their work for pay is falling off.

I read posts of guys paying 4500 bucks for work on their car, and wonder where in the heck do you come from? I paid 5 grand FOR this entire car, and I would sure as hell not pay that much to FIX it. Scrap it and go buy something else. Actually, I paid too much for it, to boot. My bad.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

5 grand for an Audi!! LOL I haven't paid more than $3900 for any of mine... and usually pay under $3000. The last one had a CEL and all it needed was a 2 inch vacuum line. The lady told me that it would cost about $1000 to fix because it needed new O2 sensors and maybe a cat. I VAged it before purchase and saw it was the secondary air pump which I could get used from Chris for a bit over $100. I wasn't going to argue with her so I got a good deal and was suprised when I found the vacuum line problem instead.

I don't know where you are but I have a lot of luck in getting parts -used and new - from Chris Semple at Force five in Concord NH. He is about an hours drive from me but I usually have him ship the stuff to me because I don't have time during the day.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

NH,

Sorry, I almost always put my location in my profile. Have to change that, here.

SW Penna. PA. Down about 20 miles from Pittsburgh.

I have a very good yard 10 miles or so away. Kid (30 something) who runs it is good friend with my youngest daughter and her husband. Anything I need, if he has it, I will get pretty reasonable.

Engine, 2.8, for this A6 was 450 and they put my own new TB, Idler and tensioner on it for me, they got the tools.

Elsewhere, I was asking the fellow from SC about the coil packs he was getting for 25 or so per cyl pair, I think, he couldn't help me because we were talking about 2 different cars. This kid sold me the whole thing, all 6 cyl, 3 coils, for 25.

Also go to him first for new parts. Find it, have it shipped, be here the next day from a local warehouse.

When you have a friend in the business, it is nice to give him first crack.

I know. 5 grand for a car is not like me. This was tax, title, transfer, and aftermarket warranty, out the door, price. My Audis, 7 so far, ran from 2500 total down to 350, for a 79 that had a busted block, 350 for an engine installed myself. 700 to 1600 for all them in between. Oh, and the 87 for 300 that I could not get to run. Thought I was smarter than the seller, he overheated it, warped the head, had milled and valve job, put it together.

I thought he had it out of time. I think it was, too, but I think he cooked the rings, too. OR he bent the valves, and I don't know if the 2.3 was interference.

So, parts car, though about all the parts I got off it so far is side mirrors. Need the instrument panel, too, that 90 odometer quit and this one is the same. After that, scrap it.

Actually, I have bought exactly ONE new car in my life, a 72 Ford LTD, 3750 bucks, rotted out in 52,000 miles. NEVER buy another new car.

Lots of gabbing here. Sorry.

Cheers,

George