Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbos promblem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Turbos promblem....

I have an 2004 Audi A6 2.7T sline auto tranny. I have chipped the car and did a few other upgrades. Just recently the trans went out and I have replaced it. I was told the reason the tranny went out was because of the APR chip. I have had the car for a lil over 3 years and now I hear a loud whistling sound when I accelerate. I took it to a shop and they told me either one or both turbos are going bad. I was looking at the options of upgrading the turbos from the K03 to the K04, but was told that they would not last with my auto tranny and I would blow my trans in 10000 miles, unless I do so major upgrades to the tranny. I dont know what upgrades I would need and don't even know the type of money it would take. Im kinda in a bind. I love my audi, however I was told that if I went with the stock turbos they would sure go out again. I have gotten 45000 miles on the chip, so I don't want to be in this situtation again in the near future. Please can someone help guide me in the right direction to take with my dilemma!!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

Whistling sound could be turbos overspinning due to diverter valve failure.
Check the diverter valves.
It would be quite a quincidence having both turbos failed simultaneously.
By the soumd one should be able to point the source of it.
What is the mileage , BTW?
Where have you replaced your transmission, what with, $$$?
Have you replaced your TC (torque converter)?
There are reports of blown tips , but with stage 3.
Stage 1 would be minor stress on the transmission.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

I did replace the stock diverter valves with some from stratmoshere. I have 94,000 miles on car now! I did not replace the TC, should I do this. Is this a long job to do? Can I do it myself. I was told that my tranny can take up to 360 hp and I can not use the K04, but rather the k03/k04 hybrid. I was told it was my turbos after going to a shop. I can't go past 90 miles per hour. I was hoping that it was not my turbos. I was told that my stock turbos can take up to 310 hp. I am roughly around 340 with the mods and uprade. Got a exhust and chip

Last edited by GJ7868; 12-11-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

I've done a little research because I'm at 181k with stock turbos and I was just told one was starting to leak oil. A stage 1 chip upgrade (APR, GIAC, etc) gets you to 318hp which puts a strain on either an MT6 or a tip. My clutch and FW went about 10k after I chipped the car, but I installed a heavier stage2 and no problems for the past 90k miles. The tip tranny will definitely be the weak link when you upgrade the engine. The tranny will not affect the turbos, but the extra power created by upgraded turbos can overwhelm a stock tranny. I have no advise how to upgrade a tip because I have the MT6. Replacing your K03s with stock can limit the potential damage to your tip as you will make 318-340hp as you claim. Going to K04 hybrids or K04s will up the hp more (you'll have to get your chip re-flashed or upgraded to take advantage of the K04s) and put more strain on your tip.

If anyone can advise how much hp the 2.7T can make with K04s and matching fuel injectors (there is a kit from ECS Tuning), I'd like to know. I'd also add piggies if not a complete free-flow exhaust with the upgrades.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

It's not the upgrade that blows the trannies, its how the upgrade is used. Drive it like a drag race car and the tranny is not long for the world. Use it for the occasional pass or high speed run or fun on-ramp and the tranny will live the life of the car. An A6 is NOT a race car. It is a comfortable highway car. If you want to chip and upgrade and go fast, you are starting with the wrong car.

Having said that, if you can't get above 90, you certainly have an issue! The whistle could be a turbo has self destructed. This could mean quite a mess in the engine if the little pieces made it through the intercoolers. Or, it could mean a hose has come undone or has developed a hole. Assuming the shop hooked up a boost gauge and checked for a no boost condition, I would pull all the turbo hoses and the intercoolers and inspect them, first, since that is much cheaper than pulling the engine and inspecting the turbos. If all the hoses are clean, next pull the piggys and look in them for pieces of the compressor wheel. You should be able to put a finger on the compressor wheel to make sure all the blades are there and that there is no end play. Somewhere in there is your problem, if indeed it is turbo related. There is always the chance it is something else and it just acts like a turbo issue.

Good luck,

Bob