Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbos turbos turbos

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Question turbos turbos turbos

SO, after having my 2000 2.7t a6 checked out by the dealership and what they said was both turbos SEEM to be leaking. Now from what I have heard if they are leaking then you will see a lot of smoke from the exhaust which I do not have. Plus I heard that it could actually be either the valve cover gasket or cam adjuster gasket thats really leaking oil, plus I was also told that if it was an internal oil leak then it won't hurt the engine or lose power but will just suck up oil faster. But at the same time someone else told me as soon as your turbos are leaking then its time for new turbos. So please! can someone give me a straight answer! thanks a bunch

Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

Straight answer?

There is one as good as it gets:

In an ideal world one might have to preventatively handle potential problems, but hey you are driving a German car and leaks are common event. Or drive till breaks.

Failing turbos:

1. Whistle sound - not the spooling one.
2. Internal leak - excessive amount of oil in hoses downstream of inter-coolers.
3. Smoke - blue

If you smell burning smoke - most probably the cam adjuster seal passenger side is leaking over turbos and exhaust. Could have the oil supply line leaks, but not very common.
Audi redesigned the oil supply, and pcv on BEL engines (03-04).

At your mileage it is early for turbos to be replaced unless the car has been abused.

Replacing turbos:
parts - 2x $800 (K)03) + hardware
labor - 27 h (by the book)

While the engine is off the car it is good time to replace the TC as it will eventually fail.
(labor separately is 12.5 h, TC $1200, rebuild are deemed to be of obscured quality)

In total you are looking for $$$ about 80% or more of the value of the car.
Now one could tell why used Audi have this attractive pricing...

You have serious decisions to make - keep or let her go - always the ultimate question.

(this forum has plenty of info, read sticky threads first)

Good luck,

Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
3rd Gear

Point of accuracy: if by TC you mean timing chain, this is wrong. 2.7T has a timing belt. A complete kit from a reputable source (do a search) should be about $400 and the book rate is 9 hours labor. This includes slipping the front of the car forward which I am sure is necessary to pull the engine to do the turbos. So there should be some economy of scale by doing both jobs together. If the turbo job is 27 hours, you need to find a knowledgeable and reasonable indie since the dealers charges at least $125/hr. I have a good shop in southwest MI that charges $78/hr, but it probably won't do you much good.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear

Torque Converter.

We are not discussing tbelt as it pertains to regular maintenance.