Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper rad hose unlatched by itself

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Upper rad hose unlatched by itself

Has anybody had their upper rad hose (03 A6 2.7Q) ever become unlatched and come apart.
I replaced my timing belt about 6 weeks ago and thought I put the Upper rad attachment on securely. I can't imaging that it was not clipped on securely all this time.

I came out from work today to find antifreeze all over the ground. I hoped it wasn't mine. When I started the engine, the coolant error came on within 5 secs.

I then opened the hood and found the rad hose had come off the rad. I got a screwdriver and pulled up the clip, cleaned the rad seal as good as i could and reassembled it. The first couple of times, I pulled it right off. The 3rd time it stayed. I wiggled it firmly and it was staying on.....it stayed on 45 minutes to my house. (after I topped up the reservoir)

Has anyone ever had any problems with these clips before??

Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

The day after I finished my timing belt replacement mine did exactly the same thing. I figured I just didn't put it back on all the way after I reassembled. I made sure it was really on good after that and have not had a problem since (approx 1 week ago)

I was thinking that after the TB job I "burped" an air bubble through the hose and that is what forced it off the radiator. I was driving when mine went and it was pretty "violent". Not loud or anything but forceful enough to blow coolant all the way back across the engine compartment and halfway up the windshield (sitting at a stop sign)

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

Did you guys install the thermostat correctly?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^

I certainly hope so, after the second try. had it in backwards at first, luckily it wouldn't hold coolant allowing me to realize my mistake (boy did I feel dumb). Everything seems right now, engine warms to temp then gauge stays right in the middle, heat works...

Are you thinking that if the thermostat wasn't in right and didn't open correctly it would create too much back pressure and force the hose off?