Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing replacement procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheel bearing replacement procedure?

Does anyone have a procedure for replacement of a front wheel bearing on a 2002 A6 Quattro 3.0, please? Are there any special tools, or machine shop services, required?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Old 08-11-2006, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Wheel bearing replacement procedure?

The bearing is a press type. There i s a special bearing press that will remove it but thats 500 bucks and an impact wrench is highly recommended for its use. Your best bet would be to remove the spindle. Youll have to remove the uppler links and the tierod. The brake caliper with its bracket, and the lower suspension links. Youll also have to remove the bolt for the cv joint. Its a 17 or 14mm hex that will requir a long breaker bar and possibly a pipe to break loose. Figure it to be about 2-3 times as tight as the lug bolts. Youll also have to remove the wheel speed sensor which is held on by a 6mm hex. The final step would be to use a slide hammer(only thing remotely close to a special tool) to pound off the hub. Then take the whole thing to an independant shop and for a reasonable fee they will press off the old bearing and press on the new one. They could probably help you out with the hub as it can stay on the spindle with the spindle removed. Just realized i used a bunch of possibly confusing terms. So heres a gloosory.

Hub-think wheel studs screw into.
Spindle- Everyting bolts to it. Suspension links, tierods, wheel speed senor. brakes. Contains wheel bearing.
Cv joint- Constant velocity joint. Goes thrue the bearing and bolts into the center of the hub. Which reminds me. The bolt that holds it on is much easier to take off with the wheel on and the car on the ground. Youll hav to remove tghe center cap on the wheel. Just break it loose. It will come off by hand once its loose.
Brake bracket-Part the brake caliper bolts to. Its much easier to remove the caliper withthe bracket. Just make sure you hang it by a bungee cord or coat hanger so you dont damage the brake line.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

dankhound,
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Regards. Brian

Old 08-20-2006, 01:39 PM
3rd Gear

Not a problem. So whatd you wind up doing.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

dankhound,
I purchased the bearing. I just need to buy the large hex bit, and the torx bit for the bolts. I'll give the job a try over the coming long weekend, and let you know how it goes. I removed the caliper, and surveyed the situation, yesterday. It doesn't look like a bad job. Does the tie rod end come out of the spindle easy?

Thanks again. Brian

Old 09-03-2006, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear

It depends on how rusty they are. Many times a hammer and a punch can be used to knock out the tie rods and the upper links. If they are very rusty youll need some sort of power hammer. Either electric or air. Removal of the lower ball joints is much easier with a ball joint press tool, howerver ive never had any that wouldnt come out using a regular old manual hammer.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Can you re-use the same bolt that holds thebearing in place or do you have to buy the kit with the new bolts?