Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regalator cable has snapped

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Window regalator cable has snapped

Hi Me again useful site this before i start.

Right the drive side. Went lower the window and i heard snap as the window started opening. Took off the inner panel to inspect and yes the cable had snapped. A little rusty in the area where it snapped. Motor fine still working.

Phoned Audi. Explained the cable had snapped. They wanted £90 for the regulator (motor and cable) and £180 plus vat for fitting. I was told that to replace cable i would have to replace motor. Okay i will get back.

Found a couple of companies selling cable kits for the A6 Avant 2003 my model. £20 and includes postage.

Called Audi back explained to them that the regulator motor was fine its only the cable that's the problem. Cables are available for repairs. No Audi only replace the whole unit even though the cable can be replaced on its own.

Here we go. I get me own cable. Is it a easy DIY fix if so where can get instructions? Or i get cable and get a garage to do it?

Thanks Phil

Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Get cable. Look on AudiWorld for instructions on how to fix the clips. From that you should be able to figure out how to fit the cable.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
Get cable. Look on AudiWorld for instructions on how to fix the clips. From that you should be able to figure out how to fit the cable.

Good luck,

Bob
Cheers for this. Found the article. Couldn't be sure how the cables are routed and attached from the pics or instructions.

Thanks anyway.

I asked the company if the kit came with instruction.
They got back to me saying they don't for the A6 Model but do for the A4. Cabling could be similar but they wasn't sure.

I'll ave a surf around. Thanks again

Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

How come no one has ever explained how to put the wire/cable into the spool? It's impossible? I've spent two full days trying to work it out? Where should the window clips be positioned when you insert the two ends of the wires into the spool or window if still attached to the clips? Closed? Open? Half way? Which way does it wrap round the spool which cable end goes to the top or bottom of the spool? I haven't been able to find this info anywhere on the net, even YouTube videos seem to skip that part? I'm not to bothered about the info now because my new replacement cable is now all cinked and frayed so I'm just going to have to live with a broken drivers side window!
Kind regards moxey

Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Tech Certified

You will be better off to replace the window regulator. The plastic pulleys are also prone to failure , not to mention it is a PITA trying to replace the cables only to find out the pulleys are broken also.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Oh I see what you mean now, so the regulator is the thing with the spool inside that the motor bolts to? So the cable ends would be already coiled up inside! So that explains why people have been saying leave the wire off bottom pulley wheel till last, I understand now, I bought the repair kit from eBay £16 for that you get the cable/spool/window clips/springs etc, but no instructions, so I'm guessing the best thing for me to do is to take the full mechanism off a spare car and fit it to mine,
PS the "plastic pulleys/window clips"are fine I got a spare set with the repair kit I bought, plus I'd already bought a set when I first tried to tackle my window problem because everyone said that's what it would be.
Kind regards
Moxey