Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer fluid level...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
1st Gear
Question Windshield washer fluid level...

Hi everyone,
the other day the dash light for the windshiled washer fluid level came on. Well, the connector to the headlight was loose. Fixed that and filled it back up. Unfortunately the dash light will not go off. It's topped off! I noticed there is an upper and lower tank. Looks to me they're both full. I tried resetting the check lights but it won't go off.
Is there any special procedure to turn the light off? So far all othe vehicles I had (Merc, VW, Audi, Ford, Chevy) all you got to do is fill it up...
I tried to unplug the sensor, but without taking the bumper off that might be challange. And if I do that I might as well replace it. So far no luck in finding one online, unless I get one from the dealer.

Any help and input is welcome.

Thank you
FrankEGD

2004 A4 B6 3.0 Quattro

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear

I only have to refill the tank for the icon to turn off. No reset necessary. It sounds like the sensor for picking up fluid level is not working. Maybe you knocked something loose when you were messing with the headlight wire.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Nope, I checked wires and everything else.
So, here is something to make it worse: Yesterday afternoon and the day before the light went off. This morning the light is on again. That makes me believe the sensor is OK/working (?) and the level of fluid (I checked) is OK too.
The only other explaination is that instead of water I used 2 big bottles of rubbing alcohol and destilled water. Could it be that the sensor doesn't like that, and when it's cold indicates no water? When it warms up it looks like it is ok... At least most of the time.

If I get some time this weekend I'll get the (mixed) water out and try tap water only...

Any other ideas?

Thank you
FrankEGD