B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New headlight washer pump... fluid level sensor ALWAYS says low fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear
Default New headlight washer pump... fluid level sensor ALWAYS says low fluid

Hi,

I replaced my dead headlight + windshield washer pump with new OEM ones. Headlight washer works fine, and the windshield washer also, but the level sensor (built-in windsheild washer pump) doesn't work, it always says low fluid. (when I disconnect the whole plug the warning goes away though).

any ideas? maybe I need to swap a wire from the connector?

Or else I will have to disable the whole level sensor by cutting one of the three wires on the pump

BTW: It's for my 1997 A8, but having owned both a 1997 A4 and a 1997 A8... almost everything is the same but oversized, or doubled (ex.. ICM is exactly the same as an AEB 1.8t, but there are 2 on an ABZ V8). And I know for sure that both pumps are identical a4/a8 1997.

any help.. thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Nothing specific to suggest other than start chasing things with a multi-meter. I almost bought a new sensor at one point, but then foiund dirty plug contacts to be the culprit (resistance jumped a lot when you wiggled the connector on the sensor).

That washer warning IS annoying to look at! Took three weeks waiting for a new pump to make mine go away, and it really got on my nerves. Last week, when I sent the ABS module out for repair, I was too lazy to re-install an re-fill the reservoir for a week. I regretted that decision after only one day!

Last edited by catmandu; 02-14-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MartinCieslak1
I replaced my dead headlight + windshield washer pump with new OEM ones. Headlight washer works fine, and the windshield washer also, but the level sensor (built-in windsheild washer pump) doesn't work, it always says low fluid. (when I disconnect the whole plug the warning goes away though).

any ideas? maybe I need to swap a wire from the connector?

Or else I will have to disable the whole level sensor by cutting one of the three wires on the pump
I think you need to clean out the connector first. Try spraying "electronics safe" degreaser on it. OR using a small wire, connect the two leads together. If the warning goes away, then you know you have a bad sensor or connection.

What part number did you get for the headlight washer pump? I replaced mine from the dealer who gave me 3B7-955-681 for $54 (ripoff). But it doesn't seem "strong enough" to actually push any fluid out. It just pushes the washer out from the bumper, but it doesn't shoot out the fluids. And then it takes a while for them to go back down. If I push them down by hand, it squirts the washer fluid out. So I know the nozzles aren't clogged. So now I'm thinking that the headlight washer pump they sold me just isn't "strong enough".

Any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

My headlight washer pump works fine (strong pressure).

My windshield washer pump works fine also, but I get the low fluid message all the time, and when I disconnect the connector completely the message goes away (when the wire is grounded, it sends the signal of low fluid). I temporarily cut the sensor wire near the pump since the error message and the loud BEEP was so annoying.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MartinCieslak1
My headlight washer pump works fine (strong pressure)..
Do you, per chance, still have the part number to this?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Do you, per chance, still have the part number to this?
3B7955681 is the OEM part number for the HEADLIGHT washer PUMP (ecs tuning has them for around $27), for the actual jet sprayers that pop up out of the bumper, that OEM part number is: 8D0955101 (both these parts are for a 98 a4 quattro).

Hope that helps Armand.