Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wring rotor ripped of my rear caliper + assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Wring rotor ripped of my rear caliper + assembly

So I was replacing my rear brakes today (done this before) with new rotors and pads. The new rotor seemed to be a bit different but unfortunatly I didn't think much of it. I put everything back together and pulled back into my driveway to test. I heard a loud rubbing noise and put it in drive to go back in the garage, then I heard a really loud popping noise. Long sotry short, i took it apart and the whole caliper + the part that holds the caliper in place is wripped off from the main assembly. Any help on exactly what parts I will ned now, and where to get them from will be much apreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Wring rotor ripped of my rear caliper + assembly-img_2140vvvv.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear

You can look up the correct part numbers on Vagcat.com (you'll have to register to access the diagrams/catalog, but it's free) for you particular year and model.

Also, are plenty online part stores that would sell you the correct OE rotor, caliper carrier, etc: ECSTuning, Blayfernungen, ArizonaAutohaus, GenuineVWAudiparts.com, GermanAutoparts.com, WorldImpex, PartsGeek, PelicanParts, RockAuto, PrimePartsSuperstore, etc.
Also, I know that O'Reillys carries ATE remanufactured calipers for around $ 60/piece after the core charge.

Did you get your rotors off EBay?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply...seems like I might need a wheel bearing housing? That sound right? I do not need a new caliper, that is perfectly fine. The part that holds that caliper in place ripped from the hub. I will check out the sites you posted and see what I can figure out. The rotors were not from eBay, seems that are the same diameter but different width.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

Call Chris or Mike at Force Five in Condord NH 603-223-6700 -- They will be able to help wit a used one.

E-mail them a picture ---

Last edited by NH_USA; 09-02-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear

hm....I didn't notice the breakage earlier today...wow.
It looks like you indeed need the "spindle". Depending on how it comes out (or not) you may be in for a new bearing and wheel hub as well. Probably you should be able to reuse the wheel hub, but that is contingent upon the bearing coming out cleanly, which I highly doubt.

Still I don't understand how the carrier got snapped like that. The upper arms bolt seems to hover right above the same area. The rotor should have hit that as well (at least that's how it looks in the pic)

Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
... Still I don't understand how the carrier got snapped like that. The upper arms bolt seems to hover right above the same area. The rotor should have hit that as well (at least that's how it looks in the pic)
He got the wrong size rotor.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

Most likely the hub offset in the rotor was wrong - too deep. When he bolted the rim on it drove the rotor into the caliper and snap - snap the casting didn't like being pushed in that direction.

Unless your rich - get a used replacement hub assembly. Ask them to leave the bearing etc inplace. while your on the phone you might look into getting the correct rotors

Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

yup, looking for hte parts right now, and as much as I'd like to be I'm definitly not rich. Yeah the rotor definitly was pushed in too deep, I just didnt notice the small depth difference while I was putting them on.
Thanks for the posts, I'm hoping to get the "spindle" or wheel bearing housing as the parts catalog calls it with the bearing in it so that I don't have to get them pressed out and back in.