Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another 4.2 tranny problem... Looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Yet another 4.2 tranny problem... Looking for some advice

So I have a 2000 A6 4.2 with about 133k on it. No codes have been thrown. Recently, the tranny has been acting up and shifting improperly in the lower gears (ie from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd). When the car is cold, it shifts properly with no problems, but when the car is warmed up, slipping occurs, rpms rise and then the gear locks into place and produces a very hard shift. The slipping occurs much more often when the car is in drive than in tip...

Heres where i need some advice on what to pursue...

There is a small to moderate size dent in to trans pan in the middle/ passenger side and could that throw off the fluid lived or constrict the filter whcih is right above it?

Also, i pulled up the carpet and found evidence that the tcm had previously been wet but is not wet right now (marks from dried droplets of liquid)

Before I pay audi or anyone for diagnostics, just wanted to ask for some opinion on which lead to pursue

thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Tranny Problems

Hi Dhbiker,

Did you have any problems with your tranny prior to finding/denting the pan? Any issues before finding evidence of possible water damage to TCM?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

well I'm not 100% sure about the dent in the pan... The tranny started slipping a little, so i went to the forums and did some research leading me to the tcm. Found out that had evidence of being wet, but was not currently wet and the connections were not coroded ( no idea about the inside though). Then searching further, my dad and i found the dent in the tranny pan.

but i was kind of curious about the programing in my car. when in tip mode should the computer allow the engine to rev over redline? cause once on a late shift in tip, it peaked over redline a little. i thoughi i had read the software shouldnt let this happen... Just curious, cause i swear some of the software in the car has been abnormal as well and was wondering if this could be a sign of something of contribute to the problem.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Tranny Issues

Hi again DHBiker,

Well since you've got two issues to address (bent tranny pan and possible water damage to the TCM), I would start with the least expensive and go from there. You might want to find a replacement pan, then perform a fluid and filter change.

Your problem with the slipping and odd shifting might be directly related to the dented pan. Its possible that the dented pan may be interfering with fluid flow through your filter and causing a spike or drop in line pressure...maybe even causing line pressure to the valve body to be excessive beacause of insufficient flow or blockage. It also woldn't hurt after performing a fluid and filter change to disconnect the cars battery and see if simply disconnecting power to the TCM will clear the codes...that is if this issue is the cause.

Whatever you decide...because it is your car and money, I feel like the dented pan should not be neglected. This one suggestion is much, much less costly than rebuilding or replacing one of these expensive trannys.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

You might deside to fix the pan by yourself as the pan prices are $$$ even for used pans.

The tsm flood could be considered in the light of the ongoing class-action in regards of floods in the car - check the forum for details.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

Twinturbo,

Thank you for the help and recomendations. I think what my dad and i are gonna try to do is fix/ or replace then pan and do a filter change, and then try to get on board with the lawsuit against audi and hopefully get a new tcm or somethin out of it. And as for disconnecting the battery to clear codes, I wosh there were codes to tell me what was goin on! it hasnt thrown any codes for the transmission for the two years ive owned the car. One thing I did find interesting though is that after some research, my dad found out that we dont have the original transmission in the car. So basically I have no idea how many miles are on that tranny and if it was any good to begin with! Man audis require a lot of maintinence, but so far its been worth it. I think next time, ill go with a manual!

Nemohm,

Yea, I'm pretty sure my dad is just gonna try and pound it out with a hammer cause even a used one is a couple hundred bucks. and hopfully i can get on with that lawsuit!