Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

'00 Steering Rack Replacement and other upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Default '00 Steering Rack Replacement and other upgrades

So, my rack is toast. It's leaking like mad out the passenger side. It was making noise anyway... So, has anyone else had to replace theirs? Mostly, I plan to follow the DIY instructions and repalce it myself, just wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a place to get the rack. Good and bad experiences are welcome.

Places I have found so far are:

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart.../80-00387.html

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pr...=steering_rack

Also, I already bought a complete suspension rebuild kit (all control arms and rod ends, etc) so I'm going to do that while I am in there. The passenger side front axle also has a cut in the CV boot, so, the axles are getting replaced. Since it has almost 100K miles, I'm going to go ahead and replace the shocks while I am in there as well. I am going to check the brakes and *might* replace them with S8 brakes while I am in there. Should I also go ahead and replace the bearings while I have everything apart? Does anyone have suggestions for places to get those parts and or specific brands of shocks to get or stay away from?

So list is:
1. steering rack
2. suspension (all control arms, etc)
3. shocks
4. brakes
5. bearings

I plan to keep the car for a while and just want to get it in good-as-new condition with the suspension, brakes, and driveline outside the engine and transmission.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Default RE: '00 Steering Rack Replacement and other upgrades

*bump* Just hoping someone has replaced a rack on here and has a suggestion of where to get one...

Thanks...