Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

1999 A8 Cold Engine Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Default 1999 A8 Cold Engine Rattle?

Hi All:

My '99 A8 (93K mi) is making a rattling noise when cold and under load (eg accelerating). It sounds almost like preignition pinging. Goes away as the engine warms up.

I replaced the timing belt, etc at 85K mi - that didn't help. No engine codes last time I checked. Anyone else have the problem and sussed it out?

Tks!

Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 1999 A8 Cold Engine Rattle?

==================
Welcome to Audi Forums hisport!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. It is a great site to find camaraderie with other "Audiphiles", too. I hope you find it to your liking.

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Be sure to search the archives first when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information; quite often, the answers are comprehensive. If you still need answers, feel free to ask questions in the appropriate forum.

If there is a personal problem with the site or you want to file a complaint about a particular member, then PM the Admin or any moderator. We will keep your PM confidential and respond as soon as possible. Otherwise, feel free to post public messages about the forum on the "Forum Issues" forum (found at the bottom of the main menu). It is there that we prefer you "test" your sig, too.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics in the appropriate forum.

We all welcome you and hope you find this sight informative and enjoyable.
====================

Have you eliminated tranny issues?
What about exhaust - heat shield, cat, etc.