Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A8 issue under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by idfnl
Excellent idea.

Will try and report back...
Don't forget to check fluid level, especially if light still trips with ESP off.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silverd2
Don't forget to check fluid level, especially if light still trips with ESP off.
Will do

Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

So an error in the ESP intervention is triggering the red brake like?

Any clue what the cause may be?

Possibly.

And if it IS an ESP problem, acceleration tripping it could point to EDL (rear electronic differential lock), which is aided by the spinning tire being braked individually...which could be hindered by a failing ABS sensor (or something else) at that corner.
That's just a guess.

Another possible cause is usually tripped during braking....failing EBD (electronic brake pressure distribution) preventing overbraking of rear wheels before ABS kicks in.

Some of this depends on specific ESP system in your model...more than one have been used in different models (don't know years/model?) with same functions, but different warning patterns. If problem persists, you need a code read by Vag.com.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to follow up with the thread. Strangely I cannot repeat the issue. I'll post back if I can get it to happen again.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Did you top off your fluid and now you cant repeat the issue? Or did it just randomly stop happening.

I have an 04 that is doing the same thing. I havn't gotten to adding more brake fluid yet so I'm not sure what will happen.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
1st Gear
Default A8 W12 brake warning light under acceleration

Excellent idea.

Will try and report back...
Did you figure out the solution?

I have exactly the same problem in my '05 A8 W12. When I accelerate hard the brake warning light flashes and beeps in the secondary MMI display, and the brake warning light in the speedo comes on. Stops as soon as I throttle back.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

^^^

Regarding brake fluid, I have not had a service recently so have not tried it.

I have not solved it, wish I did.

I had originally reported I couldnt repeat the issue, but I do now still occasionally get the same behavior I originally reported and you also report.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

I have the same issue on my 04 A8L. Anyone run the Vagcom on this? I will be ordering mine soon so until it arrives, if there is any new info on this, please post it.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Top off the brake fluid. The red "BRAKE" light is for fluid level low warning. It beeps and flashes to get your attention. The ESP/ABS will disable itself if it sees low fluid constantly, only as a default. Also, good idea to have a look at your brake pads. As they wear and the pistons are further extended, the brake fluid level drops in the reservoir.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aspen79
Top off the brake fluid. The red "BRAKE" light is for fluid level low warning. It beeps and flashes to get your attention. The ESP/ABS will disable itself if it sees low fluid constantly, only as a default. Also, good idea to have a look at your brake pads. As they wear and the pistons are further extended, the brake fluid level drops in the reservoir.

I can confirm aspen79's post. I topped up the brake fluid (although had trouble seeing whether it was low or not) and the problem vanished.

Quick Reply: A8 issue under hard acceleration