Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A8 Purchase Advise - Car for Wife

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear
Default A8 Purchase Advise - Car for Wife

I am currently considering the purchase of a D3 A8. I am leaning towards a 2005 or face lifted 2006 if the right price comes along. I have a dealer that has access to Manheim, and would find me one for a flat fee. My ideal car would be pristine and low mile (approx. 60k).

The car would be for my wife, and 1-2 children in the near future. It would be a long term purchase for me and I would likely hold the car until 150k miles or so. I expect at that time it would be worth next to nothing but I am not worried about that.

Questions:

1. Am I an idiot for considering this car for my wife. She is a good driver, checks her oil, and generally tells me when something is "not right." Can I rest easy with her driving this or will I constantly have to worry about something small snowballing quickly before it gets to me?

2. I have a 2008 535i for myself. How is maintenance (cost and ease) on the A8 compared to the 5 series? Similar in complexity? I currently take my BMW to a very trusted BMW independent and would hope to do the same with the Audi.

3. Anyone know of a good Audi independent in St. Louis that is talented and fairly priced? A good recommendation here would make me more confident in my purchase because I will not be taking it to the dealer.

4. Anyone with a family have any comment on how this is as a family car as compared to an SUV? I need an AWD, but don't necessarily want the size and MPG of a lumbering SUV.

5. Is this car generally stout, or am I looking at something where I will constantly be tracking down and repairing things? I know its not a Toyota, but I cant be dealing with a basket case either.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

First thing is an 05 or 06 is going to be timing belt motor - needs to be replaced every 75k for a cost of about $2,500.
Suspension is the biggest problem I've seen, about $2,000 a corner.

The prices can be a little lower if you have a trusted independent mechanic.
Said mechanic must have VCDS or Audi factory scan tools, and factory repair manuals.
You can't wing it on repairing these unless you have a bottomless wallet.

Audi's have all the same little niggles as most European vehicles, but when something big goes wrong it's not even remotely inexpensive.
If your budget can handle surprises here and there these vehicles are well worth it.
There's a guy on AudiWorld with over 220k miles on his.

If you want it as a 'family car' then get the long wheelbase version.